Keeping Axolotl's Water Cold In Summer.

Fish are AWE

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering how can I keep my axolotl's water cold in the summer. Where I live is very hot in summer and i would appreciate it if someone could please help me on this problem. Thank you!

I live in SE Asia and it can get as hot as the devils kitchen at times. I have air conditioning in my place and also my fish like it hot, so it is never a problem for me. However a lot of fish keepers here use one of 2 systems. First one, for large volume tanks is an aquarium chiller(expensive and bulky unit). The other method widely used on smaller setups is a cooling fan. You can buy specific aquarium fans that clip on the lip of the tank and have an adjustable direction, so you can blow air across the surface. The other units are home made, and they use computer cooling fans. To be honest, the aquarium designed ones are so cheap it wouldn't be worth the bother of building your own.

Be aware that cooling the water with a fan causes a fair bit of evaporation, so you will need to top up the tank water regularly.

Have a search online for aquarium cooling fans, and you should find a local or online supplier.
good.gif

I would move your tank into a basement or as close to the air conditioning unit as possible, and set up a fan that blows down across the water - the surface aggitation will help release heat and cool down the water. Keep the tank lights off - light will raise the heat.

If you do that and see your water going above 75*F even after cooling methods.... then your axie is going to have to take a vacation into the refrigerator until you find a way to keep your water cool enough for them to be healthy.

Most reactions

Back