Keeping Algae Away

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gav_B_UK

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What methods can be used to preven algae developing in the tank too much. I understand Plants help this but If I wasnt to go this route, what other methods are there??

Hi,

I too have a major problem with algae but only in my 10 and 6 gallon tanks.

I was told that not having the lights on so much helps but I like looking at the fish so what I do is have them on for 5 hours, off for 2 and then on again for 5. I have noticed a slight slowing down on the algae front.

Also there are shrimps that eat algae although mine don't seem to and certain fish that like it as well. On the other hand adding more fish ect will of course add more to the bio load. There is always the old fashion elbow grease method which is what I now resort to.

Maybe the plant section might be able to help a bit more.

What methods can be used to preven algae developing in the tank too much. I understand Plants help this but If I wasnt to go this route, what other methods are there??
Tips for getting rid of algae:

1. Try and keep tank away from full sunlight.
2. Try the 5 - 2 - 5 lighting mentioned above.
3. Loads of real plants is the best cure by far. If you plant on 50% of your substrate, which is actually quite a lot of plants when you think about, they out compete the algae for nutrients and nitrate. This helped massively reduce algae in my tank. I now hardly ever clean inside of glass or rocks. For easy to grow beginner plants try the link in my sig.
4. Keep nitrate levels under control by not over feeding and regular tank maintainance.
5. As a last resort try algae eating fish / shrimps but bare in mind that they help control the problem rather than cure it.
6. Read this. Loads of good advice:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=106371

JonesyUK is spot on; plants are by far the best route to take, and gf255's topic on the subject is required reading. Since my plants started doing well, I'm literally cleaning the glass once every three months, and never cleaning anything else. The tank is basically algae free, despite being heavily stocked (including messy fish like a puffer and a 15 cm royal plec).

Don't get suckered into buying "algae eaters". They're a triumph of marketing over effectiveness. Adding any fish only improves the conditions for the algae. Algae eaters can help in very specific situations (e.g., some Amano shrimps in a lightly stocked, heavily planted aquarium) but not nearly to the degree many retailers will suggest. I wrote an article explaining this in more depth here:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=135919

At the end of the day, without plants, you're always going to end up manually removing the algae one way or another.

Cheers,

Neale

Most reactions

Back