Keeping a tank cycled with eggs and babies

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Saer

Reaction score
Hi
I have a small 12 litre cycled tank and a Tupperware tub of 15 baby city’s hatching as we speak.

It is a small tank but whilst they are so tiny I plan to keep them in here whilst I sort something better, once they are big enough I will move them to the adult tank.

My question is, are 15 newly hatched corys enough to keep the bacteria in the filter alive for a few weeks or is there something I need to be doing? Perhaps adding a bit extra fish food?

In addition, next time I want to put the eggs in the small tank before they hatch, how do you keep a tank cycled with eggs in it? Should I continue to add small quantities of fish food?

I have been told by a aquatic shop that beneficial bacteria can survive as long as it in in water. So your baby fish should be fine if the filter is already cycled congratulations on the new additions

There isn't enough bioload to support the bacterial colony for a couple weeks with fry.

It doesn't matter, as you do daily water changes with fry and use fresh water each day, negating any build up.

To keep a filter cycled for use with older fry, keep it tucked away in the parent tank until needed :)

There isn't enough bioload to support the bacterial colony for a couple weeks with fry.

It doesn't matter, as you do daily water changes with fry and use fresh water each day, negating any build up.

To keep a filter cycled for use with older fry, keep it tucked away in the parent tank until needed :)
Interesting. Just out of curiosity, if you set up a tank using water from a cycled parent tank, is that enough bacteria to keep the filter going?

Interesting. Just out of curiosity, if you set up a tank using water from a cycled parent tank, is that enough bacteria to keep the filter going?
Replace it daily with the same water, yes.

I would add some fast growing plants like hornwort, moneywort anacharis, salviaia, water sprite or even duckweed to take care of what ammonia is produced. You would have a planted cycled tank that way and fry would like hiding in the floating plants. I have water sprite and anachsris floating in my platy fry tank.

I would add some fast growing plants like hornwort, moneywort anacharis, salviaia, water sprite or even duckweed to take care of what ammonia is produced. You would have a planted cycled tank that way and fry would like hiding in the floating plants. I have water sprite and anachsris floating in my platy fry tank.
Ah, okay. Thank you, I’ll go and buy some more plants tomorrow

id do the daily changes until they're moved to the community.

They produce growth inhibiting hormones that slow growth of other fry in the tank. Changing the water daily makes them grow faster and better

id do the daily changes until they're moved to the community.

They produce growth inhibiting hormones that slow growth of other fry in the tank. Changing the water daily makes them grow faster and better
Oh wow. This is fascinating. My brother is having a couple of the fry as I can’t fit them all comfortably into my tank. He bought a new tank etc especially for it. What do you recommend I do for the bacteria, as obviously they won’t be in a community tank? I am not moving them until all of the fish are big enough to be moved into my community tank without being eaten. Is that enough growth for it to work?

Oh wow. This is fascinating. My brother is having a couple of the fry as I can’t fit them all comfortably into my tank. He bought a new tank etc especially for it. What do you recommend I do for the bacteria, as obviously they won’t be in a community tank? I am not moving them until all of the fish are big enough to be moved into my community tank without being eaten. Is that enough growth for it to work?
You can take a piece of media from the filter of the main tank and put it in the fry tank, or transfer some substrate over even

Most reactions

Back