Juwel Weekly Filter Media Maintenance

sizzla01

Reaction score
Hello again,

I would like some views on the correct (or experienced advice) way to look after your Juwel filtermedia.

This is what I currently do as part of my weekly maintenance, while doing the weekly 10% water change I

Change the White pad for a completely new one.
Once a month I replace the black carbon (soak for 5 mins with the water being taken out) prior to adding
Every 2 months I replace the green one (soak for 5 mins with the water being taken out) prior to adding
Coarse blue every 6 months (same as above)
Fine Blue every 12 months (same as above)

Some notes

What ive started to do each wk is remove all the filter medias and give them a give them a clean in a bucket containing the recently removed water... is this good or bad practise ? As the water after cleaning them is pretty dirty.

I have also been told that you never actually have to replace any sponges (other than the weekly white one) all that you have to do is give them a good clean out in the same timescales as I currently do and they will be fine. Basically Juwel only reccomend changing them for new ones to make more money out of you....Again good or bad practise ? what do you think.

The weekly white sponges, I never use the Juwel branded ones (coz of the price) I purchased 80 for £8 off Ebay, they seem to be doing the same job as the Juwel....Again good or bad practise ?

If there is any other tips/advice anyone can share for me & any other Juwel Filter media users.

Cheers

Hello again,

I would like some views on the correct (or experienced advice) way to look after your Juwel filtermedia.

This is what I currently do as part of my weekly maintenance, while doing the weekly 10% water change I

Once a month I replace the black carbon (soak for 5 mins with the water being taken out) prior to adding
Every 2 months I replace the green one (soak for 5 mins with the water being taken out) prior to adding

Some notes

What ive started to do each wk is remove all the filter medias and give them a give them a clean in a bucket containing the recently removed water... is this good or bad practise ? As the water after cleaning them is pretty dirty.

I have also been told that you never actually have to replace any sponges (other than the weekly white one) all that you have to do is give them a good clean out in the same timescales as I currently do and they will be fine. Basically Juwel only reccomend changing them for new ones to make more money out of you....Again good or bad practise ? what do you think.

The weekly white sponges, I never use the Juwel branded ones (coz of the price) I purchased 80 for £8 off Ebay, they seem to be doing the same job as the Juwel....Again good or bad practise ?

If there is any other tips/advice anyone can share for me & any other Juwel Filter media users.

Cheers

don't think you're doing much wrong there to be honest - you are certainly right in that the media doesn't need replacing as often as manufacturers like to suggest - in fact doing so could actually have a slightly detrimental effect on water quality but hey, business is business lol...

I've had Juwels for a few years now, only ever really changed the white poly pads and eventually gave up on the black carbon as they're not really considered necessary in a well maintained tank (and they lose effectiveness quickly anyway).

Hello again,

Some notes

Cheers

don't think you're doing much wrong there to be honest - you are certainly right in that the media doesn't need replacing as often as manufacturers like to suggest - in fact doing so could actually have a slightly detrimental effect on water quality but hey, business is business lol...

I've had Juwels for a few years now, only ever really changed the white poly pads and eventually gave up on the black carbon as they're not really considered necessary in a well maintained tank (and they lose effectiveness quickly anyway).

Thks,

What do you think to me removing all the filter medias and giving them a good clean in a bucket containing the recently removed water every week ? good or bad practise ?

You shouldn't need to clean all the media every week. I tend to do half at a time every 3 weeks or so. And I never replace the pads - but then I am not using a Juwel filter so I'm not an expert on them!

As long as your water stats are fine and you're only ever using 'old' water to clean the media with I wouldn't worry too much about it though.

Had one myself for a while, only thing you'll really need to clean/replace is the filter wool (the white pad), you can just rinse it or chuck it and replace it whenever you want :) wont affect your bacteria load atall and is good for polishing the water.

I change the white filter pad at every water change, and every few months rinse out the blue filter pads (not all at the same time).

I don't use the carbon pads as ad part-timer said they're not for long term use, and I don't have a problem with nitrate so prefer to keep om top of water changes instead.

Hello again,

Some notes

Cheers

How often do you change your white pads?
I've not replaced anything in mine yet, only given it cleans in dirty tank water, and my levels and everything have been fine, does the white pad just keep the water clear?

Hello again,

Some notes

Cheers

I've not replaced anything in mine yet, only given it cleans in dirty tank water, and my levels and everything have been fine, does the white pad just keep the water clear?

Yup, feel free to change it whenever you like, wont effect your stats atall :)

Hello again,

Some notes

Cheers

The white pad should be changed about every week, and that's it.
I would't take any other media out weekly, just leave it as disturbing it will more than likely disturb the bio culture, as part timer has stated.
Only change the pads as you have been doing, i.e carbon roughly 4 weeks, Nitrate sponge roughly every 6 weeks, etc.
As long as the water stats are ok, and the filter flow isn't reduced, then all the blue pads in the filter are best left alone to get on with it as these are the Nitrobacteria breeding grounds if u like.
Also make sure you change ur media on a day where no other maintenance is being carried out, i.e water change.
The green sponge in the filter effectively cuts out Nitrate, as will plants in the tank.
The most important ones to change regularly are the poly white, carbon and nitrate, the blue ones only need to be rinsed, 1 at a time, unless damaged or rotted, around every 3-6 months, as long as the flow is ok on the filter.
As for water changes, I'm currently doing a 10-15% water change around every month, as stated with the instuctions of the green pad, and even the most sensitive of fish are doing ok along with my stats, but I suppose water changes are a thing of preference, and imo you've got to work out what is best for your tank.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

I used to have a Juwel Filter, and used to follow Jimbooo's schedule at the bottom of this thread here.

Squid

I used to have a Juwel Filter, and used to follow Jimbooo's schedule at the bottom of this thread here.

Squid

Thks ppl, I think i got the gist of it..

PS Nice setup Hollypop, are they real plants ??

Id dissagree with the idea of changing the white pad weekly, waist of money, just give it a rinse every 2 weeks or so and change it every 2 months :) Also im pritty sure the nitrate sponge is a load of rubbish after a few days so I wouldnt bother replacing it, just keep it as a further form of mechanical filtration.

I've just been and bought some new white filter pads for my filter off ebay, so I can add another new one....seeing as my filter copes so well I don't think I'll replace them weekly, maybe every other week or something, my water seems to stay nice and clear at the moment, and the tank's been up and running about 6-7 weeks now :)

Squid

Thks ppl, I think i got the gist of it..

PS Nice setup Hollypop, are they real plants ??

Yup all real, I'm glad I opted for real plants actually, it controls the algae very well, I don't get that much and yesterday I got a little pitbull plec to munch what I do get.
I think my driftwood is my favourite feature :) who knows, might even add more plants with time.....the planted look is growing on me, and my fish love them! :good:

Id dissagree with the idea of changing the white pad weekly, waist of money, just give it a rinse every 2 weeks or so and change it every 2 months :)

See now I'm wondering the same because mine hasn't changed since it was new,and it's been 6-7 weeks, I think it needs replacing now as its beginning to look a bit battered....but it hasn't affected my filter's performance.

Indeed, just give it a rinse and when its well past its best replace it with a new one :) I found having multiple layers (replaced the carbon with 2 more layers of filter wool) helps to clear up the water aswell :)

Most reactions

Back