Juwel 190

Malawi MaD

Fish Herder
Reaction score
As some of you may already know i already have a large setup with mbuna but im in 2 minds on what to do. Im wanting to keep another 2 to 3 species which cant really be mixed in with the fish i already have and i dont want to move/get rid of any of the current species in my main tank. So i have this spare juwel 190 and i think i can get away with keeping the species im wanting in this size tank (I know its pretty small for mbuna :huh: )but as long as its well over filtered and maintained with weekly water changes, salts/buffers added, adequate amount of rock (not ott) and just generally well looked after like my main setup, it (Should) be ok. I mean im no beginner with mbuna but its really the only option i have and im dieing to have these fish. If you was me what would you do? :crazy: I keep thinking no its to small
yes it will be fine im sure
no.. no it wont work to many problems could occur lol and vise versa.

Cynotilapia afra Cobue or Cynotilapia afra Nkhata Bay, so either one of those species and Labidochromis chisumulae. Maybe a 3rd species but not sure yet.

Hmm, I guess it would also depend not just on which species but what kind of numbers you`re looking at too :unsure:

Although the afras don`t get to a really big size, I`m sure you know that they`re not considered to be 'small' mbuna and on that premise alone I personally would say no....but hey, that`s just me. I know there`s lots of people out there who would keep more than you`re thinking of in even smaller tanks or in a tank the same size and say they`ve had no problems....I personally wouldn`t though.

At the end of the day it`s completely up to you and as you`re not new to keeping mbuna you`ll know in your own mind what`s right and wrong. I`m sorry if that doesn`t help answer :/ :lol:

Hmm, I guess it would also depend not just on which species but what kind of numbers you`re looking at too :unsure:

Although the afras don`t get to a really big size, I`m sure you know that they`re not considered to be 'small' mbuna and on that premise alone I personally would say no....but hey, that`s just me. I know there`s lots of people out there who would keep more than you`re thinking of in even smaller tanks or in a tank the same size and say they`ve had no problems....I personally wouldn`t though.

At the end of the day it`s completely up to you and as you`re not new to keeping mbuna you`ll know in your own mind what`s right and wrong. I`m sorry if that doesn`t help answer :/ :lol:

Well most probably around 6 of each species i think 2 species would be better than 3 to be all honest. Yeah that's the thing their not classed as 'dwarf mbuna' but are relatively small as far as Mbuna go. Arghhh i don't no what to do :( lol. I honestly cant add any more fish to my 6ft but i really want these species, as you say though there is a lot of people out there with ridiculously small tanks crammed with Malawi's so that's why am thinking they should be ok as the tank isn't a bad sized tank. I know their requirements down to a te as well so i think im going to go ahead and do it, (If) problems occur then they would have to go in the main tank (somehow). Just have to keep a good close eye on things and hope there ok.

Thanks again guys :good:

Most reactions

Back