Just Set Up A Little 2.5 Gallon Tank...

markaj04

Reaction score
Its Just chillin here next to me on my computer desk, theres no filter or heater. . . so im not sure what I can put in it? just goldfish im assuming...

Its Just chillin here next to me on my computer desk, theres no filter or heater. . . so im not sure what I can put in it? just goldfish im assuming...

GOLDFISH??!! Your not serious are you?

About the only ornamental animal that could be accomodated to a tank that small are Dwarf Frogs. You would need a heater and filter though.

-Lynden

definately NOT goldfish please!
1.its far to small
2. they are very dirty and need good filtration

betta maybe? cos people seem to like to keep them in tanks like that.

5 gallons is too small for a Betta, or any fish for that matter.

Get yourself some little invertebrates such as Ghost Shrimp or Zebra Nerites. Can be just as entertaining as fish (far more so, in fact, than a Betta in a tank that small), and will be content living in a small tank.

Tiny aquatic amphibians, and their tadpoles, may also do well.

Remember, though, you do need a filter and heater for most animals and plants. Water changes could replace a filter, however, if they were performed very frequently. Also temperate species do not require a heater.

-Lynden

I also agree that 2.5 is fine for a betta. I would either do one betta or 2 of 3 ADFs, either one needs a filter and heater, though. A simple filter will do, they aren't expensive, I've seen them for as low as $5.98, and heaters even lower.

2.5 is more then enough for a betta. bettas are labirynth fish (spelling :blush: ). It means they have a special organ (i think) that helps them get oxygen to there brain without any going directly into the water. Only thing I would add for your betta is a heater, if you could an air pump. If you really wanted to, you could buy a filter on and add a shrimp or two.

There are quite abit u could put in the 5 gallon. I have to work on it being in litres. Firstly u should get a filter and aeration, that would allow fish to live in there. Its not small. I got a 5gallon with 2 male guppies in there. Maybe divide it into 2 2.5g so u could but bettas in there?

Ok, the water is pretty cold, not extremely but deffinitly below room temp. I cant add a filter or heater because the lid completely covers the tank. right now i have an air pump going and thats it. So really, what can I put in this thing?? :crazy:

can you not put warm water in it?
then just take out some water about every3days..
and put more warm water in..?
bcuz if it's in a room the water shouldn't go below room temperature...

Room temperature water will always feel colder than room temp. This is because water transmits heat more effectively than air. I have my tanks set at 78, which feels cool to the touch. Even 82 degree water (the highest it should ever go) doesn't feel balmy.

I would try to add the heater even that mean drilling/cutting a hole in your plastic lid and add a beauty of a betta, make it look good with live plants and you've one gorgeous betta tank. the way i see it the more work you put into it the more proud you can feel about it

2.5 gallons is ok for a betta.

See examples: both beta tanks are 2.5 gallons.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=166133
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=165787

It's more spacious than you think.

:blush: Fancy seeing my tank here.

Well, actually if you look carefully at my tank, markaj04, you'll see that the glass cover juts out about 1/2 an inch, allowing me to have a RedSea nano filter in the tank. It is among the smallest of the HOB filters and will allow you the option of filtration. IMO, 2.5g is not too small for a betta, and 5g is not too small a tank for fish. This is especially the case with planted aquaria, and I think more stocking "rules" can be bent when the tank is densly planted and rigorously maintained. Now, are your choices severely limited, yes, but it is not impossible.

llj :)

If you can get hold of them, a single male Rhinogobius Wui (old name but I can never remember the new one) would be fine at room temp, although you'd have to stick in a small sponge filter. Otherwise, possibly try putting in a few feeder shrimp (onbiously make the tank brackish if the shrimp are brackish) and see how they fare.

Most reactions

Back