Just joined, not new to aquariums, but been a while. Hi all

Henry Weldon

Reaction score
A lot has changed in the last 20 years. I love the lights I can adjust from my phone.

So, I have even had Oscars before, but something I don't remember. I don't recall them being so neurotic. They are small...2" maybe. 2 of them. They are in a 125 gallon by themselves. They race all over the tank when they think no one is watching. The minute you walk in the room they bolt for the back corner and huddle against each other and shake. 4 days now. Hunger will trump fear, but only for a minute, How long will this go on for? Hints to get them used to their environment? I have the lights very low. They appear healthy (when I am peaking around the corner). Little worried they are not eating very much.

A lot has changed in the last 20 years. I love the lights I can adjust from my phone.
Welcome to TFF.
Well, fish keeping itself hasn't changed the last 20 years. Just the techniques have evolved...

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If the aquarium is located in a quiet room or part of the house, move it into an area where there are lots of people moving around. The fish get used to people and don't fear them when they enter a room.

Adding more fish, as mentioned by @Lajos_Detari, can help in some situations. However, if the filter has not been cycled yet, be careful about the number of fish and amount of food going into the tank, otherwise you can get ammonia problems.

You can hang a mobile in front of the tank and have a small fan blowing it. You can also have a small fan with streamers attached to it. Have the fan on oscillate and the streamers will wave about and help the fish get used to movement around them.

You can have a small television on in the room and the flashing lights can help them get use to movement.

Add a heap of plants so the little guys can feel more secure. Make sure they have a picture on the back of the tank for security too. You have two little fish in a big tank, they are nervous and afraid because of the large open expanse that might contain predators. Give them time and they should settle down as they get bigger.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If the aquarium is located in a quiet room or part of the house, move it into an area where there are lots of people moving around. The fish get used to people and don't fear them when they enter a room.

Adding more fish, as mentioned by @Lajos_Detari, can help in some situations. However, if the filter has not been cycled yet, be careful about the number of fish and amount of food going into the tank, otherwise you can get ammonia problems.

You can hang a mobile in front of the tank and have a small fan blowing it. You can also have a small fan with streamers attached to it. Have the fan on oscillate and the streamers will wave about and help the fish get used to movement around them.

You can have a small television on in the room and the flashing lights can help them get use to movement.

Add a heap of plants so the little guys can feel more secure. Make sure they have a picture on the back of the tank for security too. You have two little fish in a big tank, they are nervous and afraid because of the large open expanse that might contain predators. Give them time and they should settle down as they get bigger.
Thanks for the detailed reply. They are in my office so unless I get up and move around there is not much going on. I am torn between forcing them to get used to us, and not stressing them out too much. If I did not know Oscars I would be concerned they were dying. They go lie on their side for a few hours. I leave the room though and they race around that tank. Pretty much stuck to the back wall, but very active nonetheless. They are tough to feed at the moment. Already had to vacuum up some excess food. I just added a 3 inch shovelnose this morning. Maybe he will keep them on their toes. They will need to eat to keep pace with his growth. That will be it for inhabitants. I like the plant idea. something to keep my nitrates in check too. Probably take a lot of make a big difference though.

Water Sprite is a floating plant that can grow to a good size. It grows rapidly and can also be planted in the substrate so if the fish dig them up, it won't affect the plant.

Amazon sword plants can get to a good size and have a decent root system so might be another option.

Most reactions

Back