Just Got Into Piranhas...

paul112

Reaction score
Hello again. I haven't been here for ages, so I thought I'd appear and keep the website handy if I need any help from time to time. :good:

About 2-3 weeks ago I bought myself this little guy, a Red Belly Piranha, from my LFS. He's been fine so far, tearing into prawn, lancefish, gobbling up the colour enhancing pellets and such. I just thought I'd share some pics, and ask if anyone else is keeping RBP's?

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00003-1.jpg

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks for sharing the pics! :good:

I have 4 rbp's and 1 black rhom.

I love piranhas and have kept them for about 15 years now.

Um I'm no piranha expert, but I know they prefer to be kept in groups. Also what sized tank is the RBP in?

4 is a big enough group. I have mine in a 75g and my rhom alone in a 55g.

Only the Pygo's like being in groups. You always want to keep Serra's alone unless you want to try for a geryi shoal.

Um I'm no piranha expert, but I know they prefer to be kept in groups. Also what sized tank is the RBP in?

Only the Pygo's like being in groups. You always want to keep Serra's alone unless you want to try for a geryi shoal.

I was talking about paul112 tank. He makes it sound like he only has one. Sorry about the confusion

I was talking about paul112 tank. He makes it sound like he only has one. Sorry about the confusion

oh, yea my fault. I didn't even notice that. You're correct though.

Yes, I only have one. It was the last one of that size in the shop, they only have adults and babies otherwise. I may add some later, but for now that's all I can manage. The tank is about 10G. He is 3", and I make sure that the water is clean. Upgrading soon.
Paul

If I were you, I'd get a 55g, unless you can get a 75g, and take the one you have now and exchange it for 3 of the same size. It will be much easier having them get along.

In a perfect world ask your lfs if you can get 5 or 6 for your 55g if they are tiny and bring back however many until you have 3. Predation among each other sometimes will kill off 1 or 2. This way you're assured of having 3.

Not piling on but merely suggesting. :)

Most reactions

Back