Just aquired a tank upgrade!!

Hi so I'm just putting together my biopower, the instructions seem really vague and just a picture, do I need to rice the biomedia before putting it into the tank?

Always rinse the media. Substrat Pro (the ceramic balls) can be dusty. And I always wash sponges as well.

Ignore the cleaning instructions. Don't wash in lukewarm tap water but use old tank water (though you probably already know that ;))
Be careful when cleaning the impeller and impeller well. The impeller shaft is ceramic and easily broken. I always have a spare in the cupboard.

Thanks, yes I know about cleaning in old tank water ( then using to water plants!) 1 last question, where is the best place to locate the filter? On the short side of the tank so the outlet goes down the length of the tank? And do I put the heater near the filter?

And heater placement, I have a eheim themo control. Does the very top bit stay out of the water and is it best to put it vertical as is states in instructions or on an angle?

I use the mini spray bar which comes as one of the outflow options. I have the water flowing down the length of the tank, but with these filters you can attach it to the side wall or the back wall and turn the pump to get the direction needed.
I have the heater alongside the filter so the outflow pulls the heated water along to the other side of the tank.

My heater is vertical as they say (it's an Eheim) and right next to the filter. The tip is out of the water, and the water level is way above the minimum water marker on the side of the heater.

The suckers on the filter and heater brackets do get hard after a few years and won't stick to the glass. Eheim sells packs of suckers. I have found I can't pull the old suckers off so I cut them off with a stanley knife.

101cm x 50cm x 41cm.

We live in west Cornwall and i know we generally have soft water. I've just brought a full liquid test kit so I can do a fish less cycle and test the water for pH etc. I've always managed to keep plattys happily though as think alot are bred in the area.
Was originally thinking of getting angelfish but unsure about keeping them with my already smaller fish! The neons can go to a friend but I love the harlaquins, they are so active and stay in a lovely shoaling formation. The tank will be well planted with lots of hiding spaces so would the harlaquins be fast enough to get away from the angels when they get bigger? I know I kept angels in a big mixed community tank before with success. Female betas I looked at but their short life span puts me off! The other option would be exchange all small fish for bigger fish but I really wanted the corrydoras, the only thing that might make me change my mind on them are the pictus catfish as I used to have them and loved them. I think I prefer a peaceful tank though hence why was thinking the neon rainbows! There are just too many decisions!
Cornwall? OOooo Doc Martin!

I use the mini spray bar which comes as one of the outflow options. I have the water flowing down the length of the tank, but with these filters you can attach it to the side wall or the back wall and turn the pump to get the direction needed.
I have the heater alongside the filter so the outflow pulls the heated water along to the other side of the tank.

My heater is vertical as they say (it's an Eheim) and right next to the filter. The tip is out of the water, and the water level is way above the minimum water marker on the side of the heater.

The suckers on the filter and heater brackets do get hard after a few years and won't stick to the glass. Eheim sells packs of suckers. I have found I can't pull the old suckers off so I cut them off with a stanley knife.
Thank you again!

Most reactions

Back