Just a new beginner to the hobby!

Az3rix

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Everyone can call me Az3rix and I am still very new to the hobby, but I am glad to be putting more time into it. I am going to be gifted a 55 gallon tank, so once I do, I will start up a journal for that.

Other than that, I plan on mostly having freshwater tanks. Any tips, advice, or just anything in general is appreciated. Can't wait to learn more of the hobby and all the great fish and people apart of it!

Welcome! I'm new here too but not new to fish. Ask away, we can help!

Do read the cycling thread to understand what you need to do to make your tank ready for fish.

We love pics so post them when you can.

What fish are on your "short list"? What species drew you into our hobby? For me it was pictus cats, but after more than 40 years I haven't kept them yet, lol. So many fish. so few tanks.

I always like a few live plants. They help with water quality, tank decor & in minor way, fish health. I'm of the "old school" plant ideas. No co2, no fancy equipment. We can help you with that if you're interested.

Welcome. Find out the hardness (GH) of your water. That will help determine the type of fish you can keep.

Welcome to our forum... :hi:
I do get the impression that you're quite young (I could be mistaken, btw...) but anyways... we have a lot of experienced members overhere who are willing to help you out with all of your questions.

I'm of the "old school" plant ideas. No co2, no fancy equipment. We can help you with that if you're interested.
So glad to read that there's another old school aquarist... I'm just like that! I keep things as basic as possible which has always worked for me...

It seems we have every type of aquarist here, new, old, high tech, old school, middle school - the only thing we try to avoid is mean or nasty ones. That's good for newcomers.
It can be intimidating to take in what we say, but remember you'll find your own path, and we'll never know if you ignore us if we overcomplicate things...

Thank you all for your very welcoming comments!

To answer some of the questions that you guys had:

My water hardiness measures around 133ppm and a pH level of 6.7.

I actually have another post where I went over the ideas I have for that 55 gallon tank. If you guys want to give that a look and some type of advice for that, that would also be great!

What really got me into the hobby before was a small tank I had for a betta fish. When I researched more into taking care of them, I learned that the tank and everything I was doing for them was definitely not healthy for them. After moving them to a better tank, and doing what was right for them, is what really sparked my interest into fish keeping. That was a while back and now that I have this 55 gallon tank I plan on doing much more than I did with the betta fish.

I will definitely be posting pictures in the journal I make when I finally get the 55 gallon tank started. I wouldn't say I'm too young, just about 26, haha.

Again, thanks for all great welcome messages! Can't wait to get more involved with everyone here!

and be sure you vote in our contest...(click banner on top of forums to view poll). And I hope you enter our contests as well.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back