Joists Question

Twinklecaz

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I'm going to be upgrading to the Fluval Roma 125 soon and my question is would that weight be ok if it was along the joists rather than across them? My house is quite new, was built in about 1987.

I can put it across but it'll look so much better the other way round :hyper:

Ah right answer, thanks guys.

It's exciting upgrading. Mind you, you start getting carried away don't you. Just coz it's much bigger than what you already have doesn't mean it's that big. No Caz, you cannot have 15 Angelfish and 6 Discus (not really but you know what I mean).

Yeah exactly! It's very easy to get carried away. Just take your time and research everything before you make the jump.

I tried a trigon 350 upstairs the joists moved a little overnight so now its downstairs. The joist's will easily be capable of holding the weight of a 125.

There really is no easy way to answer this question as I don't know what condition your ceiling joists are in. Although your house is relativly new, your joists could have rot, dry rot or even wood worm.
125 litres isn't a lot of water and if your bath is upstairs then your bath would hopefully hold more than 125 litres of water.
If it were me I'd work out if the wall where your wanting to place is against is a load bearing wall and not just a stud wall.

Ah good point Micko, thanks. I have a nasty feeling it's the second.

Well, it still shouldn't be a problem really. I think 1 litre of water weighs 1 kilo, or just a bit more. This is a very rough guide.

Yes micko your right 1 litre is roughly 1 kilo or 2 pound so you would have roughly 300 pound (water sand, tank stand), try and keep it near a wall as across 1 joist in the middle would strain it more, If i was you and had the option to spread it across a few joists then i would do that. Definatly worth having floor boards up before though just to check condition.

Keep it near a wall and over at least 2 joists, no-one can tell you for sure, but your joists would have to be in a real bad condition for there to be any risk, which is unlikely as the house isn't that old, also for the sake of unit conversion 1Kg of water is 2.2lb, if you round you'll find that you've significantly under-calculated the total mass.

look at it this way, if you can work out how much water you can fit in your bath which is probally well over 125l then im presuming you could have it anywhere you like upstairs because i cant see your bath falling through the ceiling also no matter the weight of a person getting in that bath also would matter so im gunna say yes its possible to prob have aan even higher one upstairs without any issues

Most reactions

Back