Johannii/maingano/melanochromis Interruptus

vile

Reaction score
ok heres the scoop, i went and bought all the johannii that all the pets stores had in my area but all three sets are totally different :/ here they are and i will list what i believe what i think it is not know thats why i am asking you guys :D

Maingano
DSCF0003-1.jpg

johannii
DSCF0010-1.jpg

interruptus
DSCF0001.jpg

ok heres what research i have gathered and made my hypothesis of each fish. Hey this might help out some other people too. NOTE these arent facts its just what info i gathered your more than welcome to go against what i say i dont mind.

Maingano-
three dark blue horizontal stipes, the last one on their belly is kinda faint, the chin along with the rest of the body is blue, so the chin isnt a dark blue like johannii,one large egg spot rather than a lot like johanni and of course males and females are the colors

Johannii-
Also have three dark blue but almost black horizontal stripes, the stripes toward the bottom almost bleed into one another, they have a darker blue body with darker stripes along with vertical as well but not too many like interruptus, a dark mouth/chin, many egg spots on the anal fin and of course males and females are different in color

Interruptus-
These guys also have three stripes but they are darker than both mention above its reallly closer to black than blue to me, they are almost black, they have horizontal and vertical stripes more so than johannii, they have many egg spots maybe less than or just as much as johannii, they have a dark blue body with darker stripes and of course the males and females are different in color.

I hope this helps but know for some confusion along with the johannii that i bought these fish below came with as johannii they started out looking like them but time has came into play here we go.

heres what came with what i think is interruptus the fish was orange but is starting to be like a blueish/dark purple maybe its a male interruptus??
DSCF0008-1.jpg

heres one that came from a diferent group of johannii
DSCF0006-1.jpg

yet another from the same group
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l105/vil.../DSCF0007-1.jpg

I have two of these guys and they are yellowish/clear that may be some maingano these are from another store.
DSCF0004-1.jpg

I am glad you took the time to look at these little guys they mat be hybrid ok so i may have gotten suckered but hey who hasnt? its a learning expierence and hey sometimes the employees dont know what they are talking about so be careful and choose wisely and hey if you have a book of cichlids or some prints bring them with you and the employees then know they cant sucker you. Good luck and thanks again

Most reactions

Back