Java Moss Info

Invader Xan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about buying some java moss, but I've been warned that it can ruthlessly take over your tank if you're not careful. I even read somewhere that people have had to throw out moss-infested driftwood in a bid to keep it under control.

So is it really some kind of invading tyrant moss, or is it easier to control than that? Plus, will a small army of shrimp help to keep it neatly trimmed? I also have a few moss balls which are great at controlling algae (they use loads of the the stray phosphates and nitrates). Would these also hinder the java moss?

Thanks in advance. :)

easy to control with fish that eat it like filament barbs or royal plecos (L27 group etc)
or by keeping your NO3 below 30ppm

It's nothing like algae, and it's easy to pull off of things :) don't worry about it taking over.

Yer Java moss is nothing like algae, if it starts to go mad, take a pair of scissors to it :)

i think it looks realy good in tanks and like people have said nice and easy to cut out if you get to much

Moss balls are awesome. I've given a couple of little ones to my amano shrimp in my old (small) tank to keep them happy while the new tank cycles. They actually like nibbling them so much they don't even bother with the algae wafers anymore!

Most reactions

Back