Java Fern Question.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MaloK

><(((*>
Reaction score
When I got my Betta tank, I bought a beautiful Java Fern Pad.

Since it's installation last December. It's melting slowly, but surely. I fertilize the tank and played with lightning for the last months, and it's melting. There are full of healthy new leaves growing at the bottom, They are not melting and looks perfect...

So my Question, in two part.

Is that because it was grown emerged and no matter what I do all these leaves will melt anyway ?

If I cut all the melting leaves right away, would it help with the growth of new submerge leaves or I will end with a bunch of rotting roots ?

When you say 'Java fern pad' can you describe what you mean, or post a photo? Is the rhizome covered?

The rhizome must be on top of whatever it's on or it'll rot which is why Java fern is most commonly grown on decor. I've never had a java fern melt but then I've always grown them on decor. I got rid of the last one as it was taking over the tank.

No the rhizome are not covered it has lots of roots under that are grabbing on a piece of weighed mosquito net.

That sounds perfect for it.

Is it standard java fern or one of the fancy varieties such as windelov, narrow leaf, trident, thor's hammer etc? I've always had better plants with the standard type. The others have been fine for a couple of years, though not as lush as standard, then they've slowly died.

IMG_002785.jpgIMG_002788.jpg

I used to buy Java fern ( I have a lot of them ) on cocoa mats… but lately, I’ve been buying bare root, and have been happier…
I would suspect they were grown emergent, as they grow faster for the seller…
I would probably leave them, and remove them, as needed… but think as long as you have healthy young leaves, you could trim them… but maybe don’t throw them, but let them float on the surface in that or another tank, and they may surprise you with babies…
IMG_5193.jpeg

Last edited:
It's probably old terrestrial leaves dying off and rotting away. Cutting them off doesn't speed the process of new growth up. Just leave the dead/ dying leaves alone and let them turn brown and then remove them. The plant will withdrawn the nutrients in the terrestrial leaves and use it for the new growth.

I would not remove the old leaves for TWO reasons (and this seems true for most aquatic plants):
first the plant will eat the leaves for faster conversion; 2nd with java fern baby ferns grow from old leaves (not sure if they will grow from old emersed leaves but certainly they do from old submersed leaves). And yes sadly many plant farms sell emersed plants since they grow faster - one of the advantage of buying from a hobbyist.

It's probably old terrestrial leaves dying off and rotting away. Cutting them off doesn't speed the process of new growth up. Just leave the dead/ dying leaves alone and let them turn brown and then remove them. The plant will withdrawn the nutrients in the terrestrial leaves and use it for the new growth.

It's what I thought... Let them become snail food :rolleyes:

When I got my Betta tank, I bought a beautiful Java Fern Pad.

Since it's installation last December. It's melting slowly, but surely. I fertilize the tank and played with lightning for the last months, and it's melting. There are full of healthy new leaves growing at the bottom, They are not melting and looks perfect...

So my Question, in two part.

Is that because it was grown emerged and no matter what I do all these leaves will melt anyway ?

If I cut all the melting leaves right away, would it help with the growth of new submerge leaves or I will end with a bunch of rotting roots ?
I had java fern plants thrive in my tanks until I had to medicate to kill parasites, and then they didn't seem to do well after that. They don't like any copper in the water, for sure. I don't remember if any other medication stunted them too. You know, I believe my pleco in the tanks was damaging or eating them too when trying to eat algae on them.

Most reactions

Back