Java Fern propagation

mbsqw1d

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
With the baby plants growing off the leaves, do you just leave them and they eventually fall off and then you can replant or do you have to remove them? Thanks
IMG_20200728_115950.jpg

I will upload a picture of mine later - a picture is worth a thousand words. :)

I let mine just detach, since I have a lot now, there are normally enough floating around that I can grab when I need to. If I don't have a plan for something to do with them yet, I just gather the baby plants that have floated to the surface and loosely plant the roots (not the rihzome, I know!)

I used to check if they were ready to come loose, found that if you give it a gentle tug and it comes free, you're good and can use it. But don't keep tugging if it doesn't come pretty easily, or you'll just tear the leaf it's growing from, so I presume that means they're not ready.

A picture of what sorry?
A picture of my java fern, so I can show you got it grows. (I edited the photo, because you can’t see it that well:
776A0F6C-236D-4BB7-8914-AF72FBAAC137.jpeg

As you can see, the original plan is more to the left. The plant grows out from the original shoots. (It has grown about 3 inches to the right)

A picture of my java fern, so I can show you got it grows. (I edited the photo, because you can’t see it that well:
View attachment 110936
As you can see, the original plan is more to the left. The plant grows out from the original shoots. (It has grown about 3 inches to the right)
Ok, the java fern just behind that branch with the moss on yeh? So yeh, it grows leaves from the rhizome.. I was asking about the new plants it grows from the end of it's leaves?
IMG_20200728_115936.jpg

Sorry my pic isnt great as theres a ton of anacharis. So that leaf from the fern is growing up from the bottom of the pic, and on the tip of the leaf, a whole new baby plant has sprouted with roots (inhabited by a shrimp) and all.

What? That is really weird. Have never seen something like that! :dunno:

Ok, the java fern just behind that branch with the moss on yeh? So yeh, it grows leaves from the rhizome.. I was asking about the new plants it grows from the end of it's leaves?
View attachment 110939
Sorry my pic isnt great as theres a ton of anacharis. So that leaf from the fern is growing up from the bottom of the pic, and on the tip of the leaf, a whole new baby plant has sprouted with roots (inhabited by a shrimp) and all.
This is great, While PhoenixKingZ Java Fern is Growing java fern to side way, and yours shooting up floating is really normal,
The reason behind this is simple.
While PhoenixKingZ Java Fern growth to side way because the baby plant Roots Grab on the wood and keep growing by creating more and longer Rhizome, While yours i assuming doesn't have anything to Grab on. And by that the motherplant shoot a baby "Seedling" from rhizome > leaf tip > roots, because of natural environment area.
Nothing Wrong in both Your Java fern and PhoenixKingZ Java Fern. Both doing great.

This is great, While PhoenixKingZ Java Fern is Growing java fern to side way, and yours shooting up floating is really normal,
The reason behind this is simple.
While PhoenixKingZ Java Fern growth to side way because the baby plant Roots Grab on the wood and keep growing by creating more and longer Rhizome, While yours i assuming doesn't have anything to Grab on. And by that the motherplant shoot a baby "Seedling" from rhizome > leaf tip > roots, because of natural environment area.
Nothing Wrong in both Your Java fern and PhoenixKingZava Fern. Both doing great.
Yes the growth of PhoenixKingZ java fern is regular plant growth, new leaves sprouting from the same plant etc... Where the plant grows whole new plants from the leaf structure, this is propagation. I just wasnt sure whether it was better to leave these new plants to seperate by themselves, or to intervene and break them off myself.

I also have several Java Fern seedlings floating around in my tank and some have attached themselves to things in the tank. I let them float and they seem to grow alright. I also removed some and have them growing in their own container. When the leaf turns brown and starts to break down I remove the seedlings.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back