JackGulley’s South American Tank! (Under Construction)

JackGulley

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
As you may know, I’m planning on getting a second tank soon! I thought I’d go ahead and pre-emptively start the journal thread for it. Here are the plans:

Tank Itself
I will be getting a second 20 long, same size as my other tank. My dresser has just enough room to nicely hold the two of them side-by-side. I will probably be getting a sponge filter; I also need to get a heater. I got all these things plus the substrate for free/from parents with my first tank, so saving up for them will be one of the challenges.

Water Quality
I treat my current tank with crushed coral to increase hardness, but for my second tank I want to use my natural tap water, which is very soft. This allows me to keep different fish, and also makes it easier to have frequent water changes without worrying about pH changes.

Tank Enviroment
To replicate a South American biotope, I will be using play sand substrate and lots of twigs/sticks and decaying leaves, which will add tannins to the water. For plants I want to go a little lighter than my other tank, but I do want lots of floaters (eying Water Wisteria) to shade the tank. Plants on the bottom would probably be limited to a few Java Fern, Crypt, or Amazon Sword.

Stocking
The most exciting part! I want my tank to revolve around a m/f pair of South American dwarf cichlid, either rams or apistos. For dither fish I’m considering either neons tetras or pencilfish. The cichlids and the dither fish would probably be the only two species in the tank.

Rams
Pros:
-My LFS already has them
-I like how they lay their eggs in the open
Cons:
-I don’t think they’re AS pretty as apistos

Apistos:
Pros:
-I really like the colors, especially of Macmasteri, and I like how the females adopt the bright yellow brooding pattern.
Cons:
-My LFS can easily source cacatuoides, but I really want macmasteri. They might be able to find one still
-A breeding pair costs $70, which is a big investing compared to my previous purchases.

Neon Tetra
Pros:
-Very easy to find
-Active/entertaining
Cons:
-I hear they can be diseased
-More likely to harm eggs

Beckfordi Pencilfish
Pros:
-Cool looking
-Funky behavior
-Somewhat uncommon
-Mouths too small to eat eggs
Cons:
-Probably more expensive
-Less energetic

Challenges to overcome:
-Investment to get started and find a tank. Petsmart doesn’t carry 20 longs, LFS does but I might be able to find one used.
-Keeping water quality high: these fish are more delicate than the ones I’ve kept before and I need to stay on top of water changes to keep nitrates low.
-Picking and sourcing specific fish

If you want to breed the cichlids they are better off in their own tank with no other fish. If you have a pr of cichlids breeding in the tank, the neon tetras will be in the same area and get bashed.

Pencilfish will hang out in the upper half of the tank and are less likely to be attacked by the cichlids but in a small tank it's still possible. And pencilfish won't stand a chance against a male Apistogramma that is defending babies.

Most female Apistogramma cichlids are yellow during breeding.

Apistogramma cacatuoides is easy to keep and breed and easier to get than most other species of Apistogramma. If you get a pr in a 2 foot tank, they will breed and you can sell/ swap the young to pet shops and get food or whatever (assuming the shop takes fish from customers).

beckfordi are a great choice. They were my 'working dither fish" for a lot of Apisto breeding in 30 inch 20 longs. They weren't harmed, and didn't attack fry. I found with them, Najas, which grew very well in my water (but doesn't in the equally soft water where I am now) was important, as they need a tangled floater to retreat to when the Apistos get defensive. I could not get hornwort to grow, but it would also be good. The Apistos with fry would charge, the beckfords would drift out of range and they'd stay safe and unbothered in the weeds.

I'm on the road this weekend, and stuck my nose into 2 Halifax Nova Scotia aquarium stores yesterday. Neither had mcmasteri, but both had the closely related and similar veijita. In one, they were $45 a pair CAD, and in the other unsexed individuals from a local breeder were $12 each. Good things come to those who fish patiently and shop judiciously. In the city where I live, 4 hours from here, the one good local store wants $45 each for them.

Do your homework though. I had mcmasteri males, both wild caught and hobbyist bred, grow really large for an Apisto. They always bred by about half adult size, but they became solid citizens. I wouldn't ever keep them in a tank smaller than a 20 long. Even a regular 20 would be risky.

I don't know how things are in the US, but here, Apistos are making a comeback after being unsellable for close to a decade. There are signs of stirring in the hobby, as people are starting to look for interesting fish again, and species not seen for a while are suddenly almost in demand.

Again, different country, but beckford's are the easiest to breed pencil, and as such they are the cheapest. They cost the same as neons, cardinals, Pristellas and black neons here.

Sounds like pencilfish are the way to go then! Interesting to hear that about macmasteri. I think I’m going to broaden my search and just ask what species my LFS *can* order; a Viejita or Agasazii would probably be easier to find/cheaper and I think I would enjoy it just as much.

Getting the tank later today. Been thinking about specific plant plans. I think I’m going to transfer my red root floaters to the new tank, because I’ve realized they just aren’t going to be able to proliferate because of how much flow my other tank has (still wanna try water sprite too tho). I’d like to try Java ferns on the bottom, since they’re an “easy” plant that I haven’t tried yet. I might transfer some of the Amazon sword or crypts from my other tank, but I kinda want to try new things instead. And I just found out about lotus plants, which look like a really cool way to fill the inside and surface of the tank at the same time. I think I might’ve seen them at my LFS before...

Last edited:
IMG_4688.jpeg

It’s in! :D :D :D

Was planning to get a sponge filter today and go ahead and get it running, but discovered when I went to buy it that I never realized they need a separate pump in order to run. Are the pumps loud?

IMG_4696.jpeg

Water and sponge filter in! I also transferred a handful of floaters.

I’d like to get substrate in before the end of the week, but I won’t be home the first two weeks of July so there probably won’t be any more progress for a while. After I get back I’ll get light and heat, plants and maybe some rudimentary driftwood, and then I’ll be ready to add pencils.

Aight I have acquired the sand. I’m using Quikrete play sand for those who just tuned in. I put it in a 5 gallon bucket and filled it the rest of the way with water; will wait for the dirt to rise to the top and then drain and refill. I assume that’s how y’all are cleaning it?

I assume that’s how y’all are cleaning it?
More or less. I swirl the sand round while the water is running in, wait a few seconds for the sand to sink then pour the water away. Then repeat and repeat until the water is more or less clear. Some brands of sand need more washing than others.

You are overfilled, and the bubbles from the filter are going to cause splashing over.

Most reactions

Back