it's going to be a strange world... fish keeping in the future... Glo Arowana's??? what's next...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I have never bought from here, but got routed here, looking at an interesting & colorful variety of snakehead... any time I'm routed to a different seller than I've seen before... I like to look around... this seller have a very large supply of Glo Fish, including some I hadn't seen before ( not my cup of tea, but some may find these interesting...

several unusual, but not glo's

that snakehead that brought me here in the 1st place...

Last edited:
I can appreciate selectively breeding for desired traits. However I think gene insertion for our amusement is going too far. One caveat. Gene manipulation to enhance the health of a species I find acceptable.

I watched a U tube on these Arowana breeders... I think some are line bred, but I would suspect the bright reds, are likely manipulated...

did you see that Black Diamond Stingray??? that thing is just too cool...

1719420667738.png

Warning ( Joke here ) that's the fix for all those invasive Plecos in Florida... when enough of those fancy Snakeheads outgrow their tanks, & get dumped in the natural waterways...

Last edited:
could be the demise of Discus fish... they had the market on exotic colors for generations...

I did some glo skirt tetras with my old out the box "football field" tank, & it just pained me to look at them... not that I don't like pretty fish... but next thing we know, we'll be seeing all the fish posted in the "fish you wish existed" thread ... including that "monkey fish"

Last edited:
The hobby could get farther and farther away from any possibility to be used for learning about diversity, nature, evolution, species, habitats etc. Most people don't care about these things already, so not much would change. At a certain point, glo genes are limited - they all look alike. That will probably slow the market.
I recently saw some red glo Pristella, and they were beauties. if I didn't know about the ethics, maybe if they had come out when I was a kid, I would have bought them. I have friends who'll say I should have better taste, and they're probably right.

But intentionally deformed fish, petrie dish creations and glo fish are very popular now. They may, in the long run, lead to the banning of the hobby in some places. PETA like groups are already agitating for that, and the slight argument that some hobbyists are breeding endangered and extinct species is holding that back (along with the size of the fish selling industry, which uses that argument). A hobby that was mainly lab creations would run out of arguments fast.

I have a friend who is a freshwater stingray researcher, and she says where there is a trade in them, the local people protect them and they are plentiful. Go outside the areas where they are collected, and they are shot on sight as their venomous spines are agonizing if you step on them. If we move completely away from wild fish, there will be less of a motivation for locals to protect resources.

The stingrays are "real", so there's a huge difference between them and treated arowanna. The trade in Asian arowanna is tightly controlled, and to be sold legally, they have to be microchipped. South American arowanna aren't endangered yet. Asian ones tend to be reddish.

Most Channa species are banned in the USA and Canada. There is a smuggling business, largely for them as food. People want them alive for freshness, and the few unbanned species are used as covers. The average agent can't diffentiate species, so they tend to stop them all.

several unusual, but not glo's

that snakehead that brought me here in the 1st place...

Snakeheads are an invasive species and illegal to own in most states. Even shipping them across state lines through states that don't allow them is illegal.

Snakeheads are a huge problem in the Chesapeake bay and its tributaries. Hunting season is year round and restaurants in Maryland are encouraged to put snakeheads on their menus. Snakeheads taste darn good.

I actually thought they were tropical, & would be more of a problem for the southern states

The northern snakehead is the main issue - they can survive in temperate waters. They're also the food fish.

It's a big diverse Genus, but they look alike when young. Canada simply banned them all, which was logical. It has produced a lot of hobby complaining and the usual black market, but a few people have faced massive fines or jail for trafficking in them. A guy in Ontario got caught smuggling into the US twice, and the second time, he got some zoo time for it. Environmentally, they are very dangerous. Most fish that escape here die in winter. Northern snakeheads are tougher than that.

I am seeing more and more of this on the facebook pages particularly from the Asian market. I wish they would leave them alone
the short bodied squat fish are my major hates seeing deformed looking aros and red tailed cats is horrible but unfortunately there is a market for them

Most reactions

Back