Is this normal?

bumalkk

Reaction score
I’ve had my goldfish for about 6 months now and i’ve just upgraded his tank to a 5 gallon. I have some pictures here. Is this normal for goldfish to slump at the bottom of the tank? is it a size change thing? also is he a comet or a sarasa comet?
731E2107-AD5A-49DE-AD3D-0816E35747A6.jpeg

Attachments

• 9818DEA8-05F4-42AF-92CB-017477F4AADA.jpeg
    9818DEA8-05F4-42AF-92CB-017477F4AADA.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 26
First off, goldfish need at least 20 gallons, but for comet goldfish they need 40+ gallons or a pond, as they can grow well over 10 inches. Colorful gravel and fake colorful decor is not good at all, so upgrade to a natural sand or fine gravel, and maybe put some rocks or driftwood in.

Questions:
Did you cycle the tank?
What size tank was he in before?
Are there any other fish?
Very important - What are the water parameters? (Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate)
What filter do you have for the tank?
What is the temperature?
Did you transfer any of the decor, sand, or water from the old tank to the new tank?

A picture of all the tank would be helpful.

Did you cycle the tank before you moved him? We really need to know parameters etc to try and help. As others have said the size of tank is too small for a goldfish, they grow really big and are also large waste producers, but I'm sure people can offer decent advice once we know a bit more about the tank.

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. If they are ok, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. See how the fish does then. If it's still laying on the bottom, the gravel could be releasing something toxic into the water. Gloss coloured gravel sometimes does this and the way you test it is to remove the gravel and do a couple of big water changes. Then see how the fish goes without gravel over 2 weeks. If it improves, then the gravel is the problem and you should find a different substrate.

Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Most reactions

Back