is this misinformation, a flat out lie, or world breaking news ( I expect 1st or 2nd )

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I was surfing aquaria today, & I ran across this statement from an on line fish retailer...
"You can add an Iodine/Iodide supplement to your aquarium water to achieve the best colors and vibrancy in all crustaceans and fish."
thought I had been warned about Iodine before ( concerning my Tilapia ) ( 2 mis spelled words, in the original posting... so wondering how much thought went into that statement )

I was looking for science on this when I came upon a paper that dealt with enriching BBS with iodine:

Hawkyard, M., Sæle, Ø., Nordgreen, A., Langdon, C. and Hamre, K., 2011. Effect of iodine enrichment of Artemia sp. on their nutritional value for larval zebrafish (Danio rerio). Aquaculture, 316(1-4), pp.37-43.

Abstract​

Dietary iodine may play an important role in the nutritional health of freshwater fish larvae. Artemia, commonly used for the culture of larval zebrafish (Danio rerio), contain low concentrations of iodine when compared with wild-caught zooplankton. Iodine concentrations of Artemia can be increased using wax spray beads (WSB) containing potassium iodide (KI; KI WSB); however, the availability of iodine in enriched Artemia for fish larvae is currently unknown. The objectives of this study were to: 1) evaluate the use of KI WSB for enrichment of Artemia with iodine; 2) determine if zebrafish larvae were able to obtain iodine from KI WSB-enriched Artemia; 3) investigate the effects of KI WSB-enriched Artemia on the growth, survival and thyroid status of larval zebrafish; 4) determine if Artemia were a potential source of exogenous thyroid hormones (TH) for larval fish; and 5) determine if KI WSB had an effect on bacterial concentrations associated with Artemia. A 24-day feeding trial was conducted to compare the effects of iodine-enriched Artemia with unenriched Artemia on the survival and growth of larval zebrafish. Zebrafish fed Artemia enriched with KI WSB showed a ten-fold increase in total iodine levels and increased survival when compared with larvae fed unenriched Artemia. Thirty-eight days-post-fertilization (dpf) zebrafish larvae fed iodine-enriched Artemia had lower epithelium to colloid (v:v) ratios when compared to those fed unenriched Artemia. Artemia were found to contain significant levels of outer-ring deiodinase and THs. KI WSB had no effect on the levels of marine bacteria associated with Artemia. The results of this study indicate that iodine contained in KI WSB enriched Artemia is available to larval fish. There was also evidence to suggest that early-stage zebrafish benefit from increased levels of dietary iodine. In addition, Artemia may provide larval fish with significant levels of exogenous THs and deiodinase.

There is a big difference between feeding iodine and putting it into tank water.

However, I did find papers on adding iodin/iodide to salt water set-ups and there it seemed to be beneficial. However, those papers seemed to indicate feeding it was more effective.

A bit of common sense can be applied here. We all know the benefits of doing regular water changes in FW tanks. We know exactly what chemicals will detoxify chlorine and chloramine. There are a number of universal truths in the hobby which are the result of years of people keeping fish. Who has not heard about using salt and heat to treat Ich? The point is over time we find out what works and what doesn't.

So, if adding iodine/iodide to tank water was some form of "miracle" health benefit, many of us would know about it and would be using it.

Iodine is an element all animals need to live. Plants don't need it to live. Without it they many be unhealthy and die. I am using 100% RO water in my 5 gallon fresh water shrimp tank. I observed on day that my blue dream shrimp were rarely moving. It looked like a person I knew that had thyroid problems and issues with his medication.. I added a added one drop-off a liquid iodine solution I purchased at the pharmacy. The shrimp were back to their normal activity in one day. Right now I am adding 0.02ppm of potassium iodide after every water change. And my shrimp are healthy and reproduction does occur.

Most people never have to worry about iodine because it is normally pressent in tap water. If you want to try it seachem does sell a bottle of potassium iodide solution.

Last edited:
I have never heard of adding iodine to aquariums or fish food and would advise against it until more scientific evidence is produced that supports the addition of iodine.

If you use pure water with no minerals, then adding a mineral supplement might be beneficial to the fish you keep. But I would recommend adding calcium and magnesium before I would add iodine.

In my opinion, do not add iodine to aquariums unless you know the aquarium inhabitants are missing it. And if that is the case, you should look at improving their diet and making sure there is sufficient minerals in the water for them before you think about adding iodine.

I see Seachems product Fresh Trace… contains potassium iodine… it says it “only contains trace elements actually demonstrated to be required by fish”

I have never heard of adding iodine to aquariums or fish food and would advise against it until more scientific evidence is produced that supports the addition of iodine.

Iodine is an essential nutrient. This means that if there is no iodine in the food or water, you die. Iodine has been shone to e an essential nutrient for all animals.Vanadium and cobalt sodium, selenium have been shown to be essential nutrients for all animals. And there is strong evidence that lithium and bromine are also essential nutrients.

The human body uses iodine to make thyroid hormones. These same hormones have been found in fish and shrimp. Iodine is abundant in sea water.

There are a lot of thngs fish need. In many cases these are provided in our tap water and the food we feed. For most of us these things are sufficient to keep fish and even live plants healthy, However, not all tap water and/or food is enough for providing some things. In such case we add more of them in the water and/or in our choice of foods.

One clue that something needed may be missing will be seen in the fish- how they grow how they behave etc. The same applies to live plants. When they do not get what they need, they do not do well. We see symptoms that something may be lacking or something else may be in over supply. That is when we become detectives and try to find out what might be wrong.

What we feed out fish is one of the most important things we do which determines their quality of life and health. Always read the ingredients in any food before you buy it to make sure it uses healthy ingredients and supplements.

Most reactions

Back