Is This Logical?

walkers101

Fortune favours the brave
Reaction score
Sort of an idea here that i have not thought through yet and want opinions if it makes sence

Its basically cheating sump tank with no holes or plumbing

q6VYr.jpg

Obiously the filters would be the same model

It wont work, getting the same flow rates through both filters will be impossible.

i cant see why it wouldnt work tbh. i also cant see why you would really want to do it though on your set up....... :unsure:

the only issue i can see is that there will be only 1 water input into the tank which wont give decent circulation through the whole tank and may cause you to get some dead spots. this could be sorted with some decent powerheads etc but decent ones aint cheap mate....

flow rates on each filter will have to be exactly the same too which may be a headache.....

the idea of a sumped tank is great for adding heaters and keeping items out of the main tank and maybe growing plants in to keep nitrates down but i think it will be a costly mission thats not essential for your tank and stocking.

just my thoughts though mate.. ;)

just thinking about the flow rates of each filter as i mentioned and standbysetting mentioned. if they were both empty and all the media was in the sump tank it will be as close as you will get it but then i guess there are things like hose lengths that will need to be identical giving the water the exact same distance to travel before it reaches its destination.

Obiously the filters would be the same model

I have experienced that filters of exactly the same capacity, make and size..... NEVER delivers the same performance..... I think by allowing gravity flow to replace your second (righthand) filter...... the system will work if your pump delivers more volume than the gravity flow but not with 2 filters in the system...... (when the sump runs below a certain level..... it'll suck air and allow the sump to fill again)

However!!.... I will not be comfy as something may block your filter and your tank runs dry......

I wont do it on my own set up but i just randomly woke up with this thought and wondered why no one has done it before

cheers for the answers guys

If just one filter clogs or breaks....there will be a mess! :crazy:
an easy fail safe would be to cut electric on water level

like i said though i wont be doing it it was just a random idea

Cutting the electricity wouldn't stop it siphoning into the sump though, that would only be useful if the tanks intake clogged perfectly and 100% stopped the flow, rather than just partially clogging and slowing it.

When I was thinking of a sump for my tank I think I went though like 10 different MS paint designs drawn to try and avoid drilling the tank, only real viable option I could think of is making an overflow box (they can be bought but were too pricey for me lol) :).

Most reactions

Back