is this good quality breeding trap?

i have two of those...lost one...im using the other now to house to females...would normally use my 5 gallon...buts its full of fry...they do the job just fine...but some fry do manage to sneek through back to the top part. :D

I have one of those which im holding the fry in at the moment. I haven't had any problems with it and i got premature guppy fry which are smaller than normal fry.

The only problem with those is that the circulation is not as big so i put my breeder trap in the path of the bubbles from the air stone. Remember also that that breeder trap is going to have ammonia building up in it even if your tank is cycled so make sure to at least do a small cleaning of it every other day.

On a side note if your going to use that to have the mother give birth, then i would suggest adding some plants to help not stress her out. I have heard many problems with mothers giving birth in those traps and I also had the problem. I have a 1 gallon floating in my 10 gallon aquarium (with a bubbler) for the pregnant females and then i remove the fry and put them in the trap. I haven't had any problem with that. Good luck.

I have one of those too and the fry manage to sneak back up and get eaten. I had a lot of trouble with mine when the mothetr gave birth so be weary and be ready to execute a rescue! :flex:

I used to use a trap the same as that but I am not keen on them.

They can build up ammonia very quickly,they tend to overheat and they are quite stressful to the adult female fish.

Another problem I once had wasafter forgetting to put the little top back on it,one of my males jumped in and ate all the fry. :sad:

Hello,
I use breeding traps frequently. You dont want to have the mothers in there very long. Like they said sometimes the fry can swim back up and get eaten. Also the moms can get very stressed. In that particular trap i think that you can take the divider out of the center and make it a longer area for the mother.

A bit after they have their fry, release them into the tank again (the mothers) and then you can house the fry in there for a while. I guess I dont leave my fry in those boxes more than a couple days or so. Then i put a hanging breeder net on the side of the tank and transfer them to that with a small net.
If you have more questions ask!! Angel :thumbs:

(Another thought is not to use them to trap the mom. That is stressful to her. If it is your only option then ok, but if you have plants in your tank for them to hide in when they are born is better. I keep plastic and real plants floating in my tanks that i have Mommys in. Usually when they have their fry, the fry make their way to the top of the tank and hide in the plants. Then i fish them out with a tiny net and put them into a breeder net hanging on the side of the tank. the breeder nets get circulation.)

I have a trap like that, but not that one, you know on that link, the one i have is the product above it, and it does the job fine for keeping just fry in it, but the female swordtail that is carrying, she dont like it one bit, so i dont bother putting her in it, so i have two ways about it, i do have another breeding tank, which is the mesh net, and it works wonders, also brillant for keeping aggresive fish in and calming them down, but at the moment it is also full of fry, i have too many, because she is giving birth too quickly, but what i do, is i let her give birth in the tank, yes their are tank mates, but they all have their own section in the tank and so i know exactly where to find the fry, because she always gives birth to them in the same place, but once she has done, i just hook them out quickly and put them in the breeding net, but i aint too sure whether or not i will be ready for this next set, not unless Nemo grows up faster!

lol

;)

I have 2, one i use to put the females in and 1 for the fry, i transferr them when they are born, i havnt had any problems yet, but i do keep a close eye on the fry being born

err i cancelled my order and went to my loacal petworld and i bought one their cos i needd it immediately! my sword tail and guppy are now heavily pregnant!

Most reactions

Back