Is this glue safe?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Moggins

Reaction score
hello everyone,

I have a piece of drift wood that is broken and needs to be glued together before it goes into my tank. I only have bosik all purpose clear glue to hand due to the virus. It contains acetone and methyl enthyl ketone.
Is this safe to use? I understand gorilla is best to use but this inst available to me anytime soon.

Methyl eythyl ketone is used to melt plastics like pvc pipe so they stick together. It does not work on wood.

You could use brass wood screws to screw the bits of wood together.
You could drill a hole in both pieces of wood and use a wooden dowel to join the 2 bits together.

Superglue can be used but you need to dry the wood thoroughly before using it and make sure the glue is dry before putting it in the tank.

Methyl eythyl ketone is used to melt plastics like pvc pipe so they stick together. It does not work on wood.

You could use brass wood screws to screw the bits of wood together.
You could drill a hole in both pieces of wood and use a wooden dowel to join the 2 bits together.

Superglue can be used but you need to dry the wood thoroughly before using it and make sure the glue is dry before putting it in the tank.
The glue us all purpose and can be used on wood. It only contains MEK. I'm just wondering if it toxic to fish and plants.
The wood is completely dry.

They use Methyl Ethyl Ketone to join pvc pipes together for plumbing and when it's dry it is safe for people to drink water going through the pipes. However, it works by melting plastics together. It won't be able to do that with wood.

Personally, I would not use it to join wood for an aquarium.

To be sure I wouldn't glue. Agree with screws that don't rust, or wire it together or dowels of wood or metal pins. Depends on what you have to hand.

I'd say super glue would be the best bet.

And it's definitely safe for fish.

I wouldn't trust that glue. It might be safe, but is it worth the risk?

I'd say super glue would be the best bet.

And it's definitely safe for fish.

I wouldn't trust that glue. It might be safe, but is it worth the risk?
Super glue is great to use for tanks, though things that you want to glue together must be dry.

Most reactions

Back