Is This Fin Rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"And LionMom, thanks for the links! The first one didn't work though =(. But the second one looked pretty good!"

You're welcome.

That's weird. If interested just go to Ebay & put Cascade 170 in the search - they will come up.

I have never used one of Cascade's internal filters, so I can't tell you how they work, noise level, etc. However, I DO have the largest Aquael internal filter (for up to 90 gals.) on my 50 gal. tank and it works like a charm AND extremely quiet!!!! As you can see on the listing, the seller ships to Canada (you did mention you are in Canada, didn't you?). That is, if you are interested. :)

You really DO need a thermometer - ESPECIALLY in a small volume of water. There just isn't any other way to keep track of the temp. Nice thing is they are REALLY cheap! Pet store, Wal Mart, Target, any place that carries pet supplies SHOULD have them.

Again, hope that helps!

Nothing wrong with any advice or tone used above Klover people are trying to help you help your betta if you are arrogant enough to think a heat lamp is good enough then you shouldn't be keeping fish period. How do you know that your water temp isn't reaching 30 degrees in daytime and 15 degrees at night without a min / max thermometer?

I wouldn't mind but you seem completely dismissive of all (excellent) advice above even to the end, as you finish by saying "I'll keep that all in mind"; yet this sentence "You really DO need a thermometer - ESPECIALLY in a small volume of water. There just isn't any other way to keep track of the temp. Nice thing is they are REALLY cheap! Pet store, Wal Mart, Target, any place that carries pet supplies SHOULD have them." kind of suggests that maybe this is something you need to act on now instead of thinking about it?

No, not the UK...but Canada.

I live in Canada as well and I know how the winters are :eek: Cold so you better get a heater for him because the laps doesn't work and it's looks like he is biting his tail :D One of my boys always do that.Make sure that he have something to play with.In my case I get him more plants and toys to play with.. :nerd:

Hey guys, so I've been looking at heaters, filters, and larger tanks. I may be working at a camp this summer as the Nature Director and am considering taking him along and putting him in the nature centre. If I do so, I'd want a proper heating system and filter and in doing so, I'm also looking at larger tanks/bowls. I did find an aquarium kit that came with a LED heating light, filter, and is a 3 gallon tank.
Here's the link:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752385

I don't want anything too expensive, and in some cases would of course prefer a bowl (because of residence next year)..but maybe I can get away with a tank depending how big it may be. . . ha-ha. Either way, I will be purchasing a heater first and foremost, if anything. I don't know about a bigger tank yet...where could I find a good sized bowl for cheap? Petsmart doesn't have a lot of options for me (but that's all I've looked at so far...lol)

Hi! Glad to see you have been window shopping!!!

That is an Eclipse 3 by Marineland - an excellent small tank, IMO. One of my bettas lives in one very happily. One thing - it comes with fluorescent lighting, not LED lighting.

a 25 watt submersible, adjustable heater works GREAT in those!!! Don't forget the thermometer. :)

As far as a larger bowl goes, you could try looking for a 2 gal. bowl on Ebay. I have seen them on there. I was wondering if maybe a hobby place (like Hobby Lobby) might have something even bigger? Like a 3 gallon bowl?? Worth a try!

Heck, when I had Spike in the 2 gal. bowl I had a 25 watt heater in there & it worked out really well, so if you DO have to go the bowl route, you will still be able to heat it.

Good luck to ya!

Hi! Glad to see you have been window shopping!!!

That is an Eclipse 3 by Marineland - an excellent small tank, IMO. One of my bettas lives in one very happily. One thing - it comes with fluorescent lighting, not LED lighting.

a 25 watt submersible, adjustable heater works GREAT in those!!! Don't forget the thermometer. :)

As far as a larger bowl goes, you could try looking for a 2 gal. bowl on Ebay. I have seen them on there. I was wondering if maybe a hobby place (like Hobby Lobby) might have something even bigger? Like a 3 gallon bowl?? Worth a try!

Heck, when I had Spike in the 2 gal. bowl I had a 25 watt heater in there & it worked out really well, so if you DO have to go the bowl route, you will still be able to heat it.

Good luck to ya!

thanks for the tips! and yes, silly me, i meant fluorescent but for some reason wrote LED.

i was looking at this heater originally...it's 50 watt, though i wasn't sure if it'd work. it comes with a thermometer.

[URL="http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755273"]http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755273[/URL]

or this one i just found...the 2 gallon tank..
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752291

You're welcome!

Personally, I would not go with a 50 watt heater - just too much for a 3 gal. (or less) tank, IMO.

Something like this would be better, I believe:

[URL="http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-JEBO-25-W-Aquarium...93%3A1|294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-JEBO-25-W-Aquarium...93%3A1|294%3A50[/URL]

And that seller ships to Canada.

Actually, THIS is the heater I use - Marineland Visi-Therm Heater 25 Watt. It is a tad more expensive, but works FLAWLESSLY:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marineland-Visi-Therm-...p3286.m20.l1116

The Top Fin tank, IMO, is a less expensive unit that probably won't hold up over the long haul. IME, it's better to spend a little more money now because it will be less expensive down the road since you won't have to replace the tank. In addition, it is smaller than the Eclipse 3 you were looking at. I really, really do not like putting bettas in anything smaller than 3 gallons & really prefer 5 gallons, but that's just me.

Just wondering - did you pick up a thermometer yet? Like I said before, you can get them at Wal Mart, Petco, just about anyplace that has any kind of fish supplies and they're CHEAP!!!!

Hope that helps - all just suggestions. :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
might not be able to get them where you live but I often resort to square plastic containers. You can get some that are almost transparent they make a good cheap home whilst you look for something else. Tight fitting lid just put a few holes in the top and they do the trick :good:

Hey guys, I just thought I'd give an update.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get to a pet store to purchase/look at these items hands-on, but it's been crazy at home (with my brother moving away and whatnot) that I or Linguini weren't the main priority.

I'm hoping to get out Monday (hopefully). In the meantime, I just wanted to say that Linguini is doing great back home! He's been very happy and made me a HUGE bubble nest! His tail is also healing!! It's looking great! It's good to know that he's still feeling pretty good even though I don't have the proper tools for him quite yet. Think of how he'll be once he gets the heater and everything!

Well we'll just gotta see what happens next! I'm just happy that Linguini is doing great even after the move and transition back to my house from living in the residence all year. During Christmas, things weren't looking too good for him, but he was able to pull through. But this time, he's giving me quite the personality and is looking so cute!

Just a random question that someone brought up...what exactly would classify as a toy for a betta?

Just a random question that someone brought up...what exactly would classify as a toy for a betta?

Decorations really. You can always re-arrange the appearance of his tank which gives him the impression he's somewhere new :lol:. Bettas also really appreciate activity outside the tank and are very responsive to movement. Somewhere like a living room or kitchen would be a good place.

Decorations really. You can always re-arrange the appearance of his tank which gives him the impression he's somewhere new :lol:. Bettas also really appreciate activity outside the tank and are very responsive to movement. Somewhere like a living room or kitchen would be a good place.

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. Here I was picturing a little toy for a fish! I try to keep him entertained, but sometimes I think he thinks I'm weird! haha.

check Craigs list and garage sales!!!! ive even found useful things (and sometimes small tanks) at salvation army shops or other thrift stores.
you can get GREAT deals if you look around...even check classifieds in the paper...often on Craigs list i see many posts for small aquariums (like 2-5 gal ones) that are small enough that im sure you could "get away" with it in the dorms. and they usually are listed with filters, heaters, nets, decor, etc!!!
and if you are on the bargain hunt for decholrinator (i remember what it was like to be a poor college kid:), go to a large fish store and buy POND dechlor. it is the same stuff only super concentrated (so you dont use as much per water change). a bottle lasts me around 4 months (and i have three tanks)
good luck with your betta. i think by looking at the pictures you have posted that he most likely snagged his tail on the plastic bits.
CHEERS!

check Craigs list and garage sales!!!! ive even found useful things (and sometimes small tanks) at salvation army shops or other thrift stores.
you can get GREAT deals if you look around...even check classifieds in the paper...often on Craigs list i see many posts for small aquariums (like 2-5 gal ones) that are small enough that im sure you could "get away" with it in the dorms. and they usually are listed with filters, heaters, nets, decor, etc!!!
and if you are on the bargain hunt for decholrinator (i remember what it was like to be a poor college kid:), go to a large fish store and buy POND dechlor. it is the same stuff only super concentrated (so you dont use as much per water change). a bottle lasts me around 4 months (and i have three tanks)
good luck with your betta. i think by looking at the pictures you have posted that he most likely snagged his tail on the plastic bits.
CHEERS!

Wow thanks! I'll do that! And I did find a pretty good dechlorinator for now (i hope). it's been treating me good and doesn't require too much to take care of the water. But that is a good idea!
And yeah, i've removed the sharp pointy things that were coming off the flowers and I think that really helped. It looks like his tail is healing. He's been pretty funny the past week anyway! =)
I love the pic I got of him in my signature, he's looking mighty tough! =P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back