Is This Fin Rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's more likely to be the plastic plant actually, generally silk plants are recommended for betta tanks... see the little green things that stick out under the flower?

The other possibility is that he's chewing his fins because he's either bored or cold - that bowl isn't heated and it does look a little on the small side, how big is it and do you keep the room at a constant temperature?

Yep i agree, probably that plastic plant.

You're in the Uk right? If so he's gonna be freezing :no: The water temp needs to be a minimum of 76/78 degrees. And in a tiny unfiltered bowl you should be doing a minimum of 50% water change every 3 days. Otherwise the ammonia is gonna build up and cause major health issues.

Just seen you say you have a heat lamp? Sorry but it needs a stable heat source. Get a thermometer and check the temps. Oh and you really should think about getting a bigger tank for him. 3 gallon minimum.

thought you were UK cus your profile time says 1.36am.

If you haven't, or are not allowed to have heaters or larger tanks then maybe keeping fish shouldn't actually be allowed in the campus. When you say the water is comfortable, comfortable for who? Get a thermometer and check it properly.

There's no need to get defensive. I tried to help you on March 19th but you never came back to your thread for further advice.

I am not attacking you, but when someone asks for help and then doesn't even bother responding its makes me think why do i bother? And now, 2/3 weeks later, your back with the same problem, ripped fins.

My advice is, bigger tank, heated to minimum 76/78, silk or real plants. You asked for advice so there it is.

And if you did check your threads, after all this is only your third thread, you would have noticed that i asked you a couple of simple questions to which you didn't reply. Remz even bumped that thread so you would see it, but still no response.

Here's the thread http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=278573&hl=

The questions i asked would have probably led me to say exactly what i have said on this thread.

If you have to keep him in a bowl, may I suggest something like this?

Spike1.jpg

That is a 2 gal. drum bowl I had to house one of my bettas in till I got him his 5 gal. tank. It has a piece of driftwood with java moss rubber banded to it (till the moss takes hold), a moss ball - these are both low light plants - a 25 watt adjustable heater & a thermometer. While he was in there I did 50% water changes three times a week.

I believe if you can manage a set-up similar to that one, your betta will be a pretty happy, healthy fellow.

Hope that helps & good luck!

"Thanks for the advice! That's a very nice set up =).

I'll take that into consideration once I get home for the summer (which is in a week =D) "

Thank you and you are more than welcome.

You can even fit a small internal filter in that size bowl. I didn't bother at the time because I knew Spike was going into a tank within a week to ten days.

Maybe something like this?

[URL="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=130238613689"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=130238613689[/URL]

Good for up to 10 gallons, but has adjustable, directional flow.

Here is another one that looks like it would work well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=170249032000

Don't know if they are available or not, but maybe you could even find a 3 gal. bowl??? Now THAT would be the ticket!!! :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi, Klover,
in case you should happen to check back, I'd just like to toss in 2 cents worth of; not thinking Bronzecat or anyone else meant to attack you, but was pointing out previous advice given; I've seen a number of people make multiple posts when their old one disappears and that doesn't seem to be an issue; and most people here are happy to help.
I think it was just being pointed out that without a thermometer, it's not possible to even guess at temps. in aquaria, because the perception of heat or cold to the touch is very subjective and degrees of inaccuracy vary widely.
That, and it only seems to be possible to keep bettas warm enough without a heater when the room's hot enough to make a dog pant and jump off the bed to go sleep in the hall. (My subjective measurement involves pet reactions, lol...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back