Is This An Ok First Fish Community?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cormack12

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Entirely new to tropical fish keeping. Got my tank yesterday, it's set up now and cycling so I'm hoping next Saturday to start getting my fish and waterlife. I've read so much the past few days on various fish, their behaviours and compatibility and arrived at what I think I'd like and just want to check what people with more experience would offer as advice.

Tank size: 70l (64cm x 32cm x 56cm from memory) 
Base: Small gravel (reef sand like)
Clutter: One large rock tower and one small. Three artificial plants (large, long stemmed)

I can't get decent pics as I still have lines of bubbles on the glass at the moment. My thinking is I'd like more variety than quantity, so although I have looked at schooling fish I don't think I'd want to dedicate a large portion of the livable space to one type. What I'm thinking of is:

1 pictus catfish
2 guppies (fan tail or delta tail)
3 blue shrimp
2 African dwarf frogs
3 black mollies

Other fish I've also looked at but school are gold barbs and red cardinals. So firstly, does that community I've assembled look OK? I'm going for activity and striking colour (dark or light - base of the aquarium is purple and black). I did really want a betta as the solitary show fish, but while I'm still new I just want something peaceful and friendly until I get into the routine of water changes and all the other maintenance stuff before I want to start having to also get to grips with checking fish health.

Is there a solitary fish that would live in this community quite nicely and be the crowning jewel?
I'm thinking of a temp of around 23-25 for the fish I've listed - is this within range to keep most happy and lively?
My filter has a min and max slider - I've set it at middle whilst bedding in, is this OK to maintain with that stock?
I've got a gravel siphon on the way for twice weekly 10% water changes - does this work OK with reef sand type of base?
Lastly, I think the pH level is in the range of 6-7. What do I need to balance fluctuations in this (up and down)?

Thanks, I know these questions get asked all the time and I do appreciate those who take time to give their advice.

Stock looks better than okay for a first community fish tank.
smile.png

A good solitary fish that would have to be German Blue Rams, in my opinion, very colorful fish that have interesting behaviors and personality. Also very non-shy and comes up to you. They like warmer water, so 25 C or 78 F would be good for them.

Temps of 23 (it's a bit on the cooler side though 24 C would be better) 25 C looks great.

To balance pH, you would have to make sure you don't add in anything that would buffer or debuff the water too quickly in a short amount of time. Don't do quick water changes that you know the tap has too different pH than your tank water; so if you want to add tap, you would gradually introduce dechlorinated tap slowly so the tank inhabitants wouldn't go into shock.

Have a good one.

Hmm oh wow, so they are pretty active and get that somewhat big. I don't recommend one now for your tank, cormack.

Hmm, I was basing them growing a max of four inches - apparently not!! :) This si why places like these exist. So I guess swap the pictus for a cory....

Corydoras are shoaling fish and need to be kept in a group of at least six, of the same species.

Is your water hard or soft?

I wouldn't recommend the frogs. They do better in a tank on their own; their eyesight is very poor and they're easily outcompeted for food.

I wouldn't do the mollies, they'd be better off in a larger tank as they do get pretty chunky and are fairly active.
I also wouldn't mess with pH. There is no need for this unless you are keeping a very specific & sensitive species.

If you're having corys instead there are lots to choose from, as Fluttermoth says they should be kept in groups of 6+ & preferably on sand

Hmmm, our water is soft fluttermoth.

I did prefer just one bottom feeder as I don't want a shoal using all the space if possible - maybe bristlenose cat?. I did read the dwarf frogs were slow but was hoping to manage that somehow - is tweezer feeding quite tedious? I do like the look of that blue ram though so might stick him in there, swap out the two frogs.

Would any variant of shark be ok?

If you got your tank yesterday and are going through a fishless cycle it won't be ready for fish next week or the week after or the one after that for that matter unless of course you have got some established media from somewhere. Are you using ammonia to cycle as the tank won't do anything if just left alone?

Once you do get fish in don't get a pimolodious pictus catfish as it will be the only fish in the tank after a short while; it will also be very fat!

I would think the pictus cat would get big enough to eat most of your fish, and are schooling fish so usually 4 or more would be best for them (but not really recommended in your tank size). And I agree with ninj would be a little small for mollies. And sharks get pretty big and usually need a min 50 gallon as they are territorial and may harass all your fish when it reaches maturity.

Tweezer feeding is extremely tedious, but I haven't kept ADF, so I couldn't comment on whether it works or whether it's too difficult.

You could have BN, as you're not having any shoalers. no sharks; they all get too big and tend to be boisterous/aggressive.

The rams are very beautiful, but also a very difficult, sensitive fish. If your water is soft and very low in nitrate, it might be worth trying, but after your tank is mature and stable; they're not a fish for new set up. A Bolivian ram or one of the apistogramma family might be easier for a newbie.

I would go for the bristlenose instead of the others as well.

@Fishaholic Yeah i was reading that massive post about fishless cycling yesterday and it looks like I have some way to go. That's fine though as it gives me some time to research more fish :) I have a biological carbon removing filter with sponge refill and I have put dechlorinator in the water and some bacteria stuff to get it going. I haven't got/put any ammonia in there yet. I'm waiting for the water test kit from amazon etc. Is there any ammonia you recommend from UK sellers?

Just so I've got this right - the process will be siphon out some muck and debris with 10-15% water. Take the sponge out the filter and squeeze all the debris and larger waste from it, give it a rinse in the water extracted from water change then put it back in? When using a new filter/sponge just rinse the new sponge in the water extracted right?

@Fluttermoth/majerah1 Thanks for the advice I think I'm currently redoing the stock until my tank gets cycled. I've been looking at snowball and/or starry night plecos, they look really cool. So now I'm sort of leaning towards:

First stock: Snowball pleco with three blue pearl shrimp
Second stock (2 weeks later and new filter cartridge): 3 black delta tail guppies (or 6 lemon tetras, though I really like the guppies)
Third stock: (3 weeks later): 2 bolivian rams - I believe these are friendlier than German?
Full stock?

Some extra questions as well:

1. Quarantine. I might be getting a 30l tank in a couple of weeks which I can use as quarantine. As a more general rule it is OK to use a submerged bag in the main tank as the quarantine zone? Will this help the fish get used to the other fish and will they be less prone to attack them?

2. Does anyone have any experience with ordering fish from online places that courier them out with heatpacks and oxygen? It sounds convenient buit I'm quite fussy and worried I wouldn't get ones with markings I like. Can your LFS always order in particular breeds? Also, what is your opinion of fish centres tagged onto garden centres? I don't really have a dedicated fish store in my local area. Closest one is about 40 miles away which is a long round trip to get the fish back home.

Never mind, found another thread with live links to ammonia stuff. Thanks.

Most reactions

Back