Is This A Rare Female Fighter Or A Bit Of Sales Bs ?

I wouldn't at all mate unless your 100% dedicated,i know someone who breds betta's...takes so much time and effort, sometimes he talks of packing it in,
I have bred a few species of fish, and unless your hearts 100% into fish keeping it will put you off, so id reccomend, firstly keeping fish safely and enjoying them, then if your still into fish, buy that time you will have found what sort of fish your really into. for example my preferences are channa<snakeheads> south and central american fish esp cichlids and predatory carachins...
we`ll my breeding experience is, DON`T LAUGH, Guppies :hyper: we`ve all bred guppies havn`t we if not purely by accident. that was the reason for my third tank (soon to be home for my new Betta ) just thought it was cool to have fry, now I`m over run with it. So as I said I`m in no rush to breed proper fish ( no offence to Guppy breeders ) :look:

Why would i laugh, everyone including me starts somwhere, as i did with guppys, i them thought same as you about betta's. tried just same as you was told, this was reason i joined site, then after failing i left alone,then bred some firemouths, then went onto bristlenose plecs, after tried with angels, then to my most recent channa ornatippinis,, :good:

see this was me back in 2005
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/118859-bettas-new-tank/page__p__1002191__fromsearch__1&#entry1002191
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/119280-breeding-tips-required/page__p__1005996__fromsearch__1&#entry1005996

nice little betta,i hope your not just planning on placing her in either one of there tanks?
The plan is for her to go in one tomorrow. I`ve got a floating trap and I`ve been told by my lfs to float her in that to see how each male reacts to her, if no or little reaction it should be ok but they did say there is always risks with Bettas and to keep an eye on them for a while.
Does this sound like a good way for them to get to know each other or would you suggest otherwise.
Please advise as obviously I don`t want to lose any of these fish.
Sorry for a bit of a hijack but where did you get those bettas in sheffield?! I LOVE pheonix!

nice little betta,i hope your not just planning on placing her in either one of there tanks?
The plan is for her to go in one tomorrow. I`ve got a floating trap and I`ve been told by my lfs to float her in that to see how each male reacts to her, if no or little reaction it should be ok but they did say there is always risks with Bettas and to keep an eye on them for a while.
Does this sound like a good way for them to get to know each other or would you suggest otherwise.
Please advise as obviously I don`t want to lose any of these fish.
Sorry for a bit of a hijack but where did you get those bettas in sheffield?! I LOVE pheonix!
Sheffield Aquatics on langsett road. They get new stock every other week. Got nearly all my fish from there and not had a single one die.

see this was me back in 2005
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/118859-bettas-new-tank/page__p__1002191__fromsearch__1&#entry1002191
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/119280-breeding-tips-required/page__p__1005996__fromsearch__1&#entry1005996
Thanks for all the input Nelly
It was good to read your old posts.
I think I`ve decided to leave trying to breed the Bettas, at least for a while and just enjoy looking at them, it`s just, and I don`t know if this is just a novelty thing as I`ve only been fish keeping about 3 months but I just want more, more, more I`m even enquiring into setting up an aquatics business, I have the location picked out and everything. we`ll see what happens.
thanks again for your help. :good:

An aquatics Business? Like breeding fish? I think you need to keep fish for longer than 3 months and more experience.

An aquatics Business? Like breeding fish? I think you need to keep fish for longer than 3 months and more experience.
No mate, I'm thinking of opening a tropical fish outlet. I already have two good business. I would obviously employ very experienced staff to run it. We'll see what happenens.

Sheffield Aquatics on langsett road. They get new stock every other week. Got nearly all my fish from there and not had a single one die.
Do you really rate this place? I've been in a few times now and each time it just seems to be worse. In a large number of the tanks there were seriously ill looking if not dead fish! I just got a very bad vibe from the place.
Have you tried Elm Lane Aquatics in Sheffield? Went in there the other day and it seemed like a pretty decent place, few good looking betta's that all seemed to be pretty well looked after.

Do you really rate this place? I've been in a few times now and each time it just seems to be worse. In a large number of the tanks there were seriously ill looking if not dead fish! I just got a very bad vibe from the place.
Have you tried Elm Lane Aquatics in Sheffield? Went in there the other day and it seemed like a pretty decent place, few good looking betta's that all seemed to be pretty well looked after.
I agree its not that impressive but I get on well with the staff there and as I said never had a bad fish, where as a bigger outlet would be fish inc at Handsworth near the Asda, far more selection but I`ve had 10 fish from there and 6 have died.
I have been told about Elm Lane but haven`t got round to checking it out yet. Another new outlet is Blue Ocean Aquatics at attercliffe but it seems to cater more for marine fish.
I have told them before at Sheffield Aquatics about the dead fish in the tanks and I have to admit they dont seem in that much of a rush to get them out.
Sorry you didn`t have a great experience there, I will try Elm Lane and let you know what I think.

Just been doing a bit of searching around, and apparently one of the best places to go if you don't mind the drive, is Wharf Aquatics, Just off J28 of the M1. Going to take a trip there tomorrow to see what its like so will post up my opinion when I get back.
It's won aquatic retailer of the year and a few more for several years running so I figure it must be worth a visit!

Just been doing a bit of searching around, and apparently one of the best places to go if you don't mind the drive, is Wharf Aquatics, Just off J28 of the M1. Going to take a trip there tomorrow to see what its like so will post up my opinion when I get back.
It's won aquatic retailer of the year and a few more for several years running so I figure it must be worth a visit!
That's funny, the guy who works at Sheffield Aquatics told me the other day if I want a really good Aquatics outlet try wharf. I think he used to work there. I have already sheduled a visit there this weekend.
Also just been to elm lane, the sod was shut, should have phoned first.

That's funny, the guy who works at Sheffield Aquatics told me the other day if I want a really good Aquatics outlet try wharf. I think he used to work there. I have already sheduled a visit there this weekend.
Also just been to elm lane, the sod was shut, should have phoned first.
Just been today, biggest selection of fish I have ever seen, about 3-4 times as many tanks as Sheffield Aquatics... and no dead fish (well apart from 1 Betta).
Although it is a fair bit more pricey, I bought 4 clown killifish today for £14, the only reason I payed that much is because this is the first time I've seen them in any shop! Huge selection of Cichlids especially, and the staff seemed pretty nice/helpful, was very impressed I'd pay it a visit.

I completley agree about Wharf, you might pay a bit more then the smaller outlets, but i've always gone up their for my fish (although not with my current tank) and fully enjoyed it, and the range of cichlids is great i agree. did you take time to look at the large display tank? amazing setup, but i'm not sure if its still their. I got a trio of Flagtails (not characin) for £30 from their, you'd probably expect to pay about £25 but i didn't mind one bit, they were amazingly healthy fish.

Most reactions

Back