Is One Protein Skimmer Really Better Than The Next?

Joeballz

Reaction score
Just wondering is one protein skimmer really better than The next? I have a coralife that was 150$ and I'm just curious how much better all the other ones are?

The answer is yes.... and no :)

There are a lot of factors that can make one skimmer work better or worse than another, from the size of the reaction chamber to the way the water flows through it and how much air is going into it. You also have to consider that some skimmers can actually skim perfectly but then have different issues such as chucking out lots of micro bubbles or being a real pain to adjust. I also know a few people that are running really basic DIY skimmers that seem to be doing a great job.

Because there are so many factors that can effect how well a skimmer works its hard to say that one will be better than another just by looking at the datasheet for them. The only thing I can suggest is that if your skimmer is rated ok for our tank and you dont have any problems with it then its ok. If you do fancy upgrading your skimmer then have a read around at some reviews and go for a second hand one as they come up a LOT cheaper then buying new.

Just wondering is one protein skimmer really better than The next? I have a coralife that was 150$ and I'm just curious how much better all the other ones are?

If it's functional and reliable for you, I'd stick with it...

Most reactions

Back