Is My Tank Overstocked?

Gold Barb 647

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a 20 gallon fish tank:

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=103&PROD_ID=01030110010101

It's dimensions are:

- 61.44 cm x 31.91 cm x 41.28 cm
- 24.1875" x 12.5625" x 16.25"

It's volume is:

- 75.7 L
- 20 U.S. gal

Right now, its filled with:
- 6 Gold Barbs, each of which are about an inch long.
- 1 King Betta, which is about two inches long.
- 1 Boeseman's Rainbow, which is about an inch and a half.
- 1 Siamese algae eater, which is a little over an inch long

I was initially planning on getting another Boeseman, because I read that they fare best in schools, or at least in pairs. However, when further researching this, I read that Boesemani typically require a tank which is considerably larger than the one I have. The people at the store where I bought the aquarium assured me that it was far from overcrowded and that it provided ample space for each species of fish.

Is this true? I hope so, because, if its not, I will have to buy a larger tank; I have no intention of allowing my fish to suffer.

Please help me out with some advice.

Thanks.

GB647

Boesemani rainbows get fairly large at 4 to 5 inches in total length and they need to be kept in groups of at least 6. 20 gallons is too small for them unfortunately. If you were to keep only boesemani rainbows you would need a tank at least 3 feet long and at least 30 gallons.

Boesemani rainbows get fairly large at 4 to 5 inches in total length and they need to be kept in groups of at least 6. 20 gallons is too small for them unfortunately. If you were to keep only boesemani rainbows you would need a tank at least 3 feet long and at least 30 gallons.

At what point would I need to move this fish to a larger tank?

How is the tank otherwise?

Thanks.

Take out the rainbows or upgrade to a bigger tank and you shall be fine. :)

Do I have to upgrade the tank or remove the rainbow immediately? Or do I have a bit of time to wait until he outgrows the tank?

Thanks.

When you find out these things its usually important to start working on finding the new home immediately as it can be difficult sometimes. By providing good water stats you will be doing the best you can in the meantime but in the cases where hobbyists have come to define things like 6-minimum guidelines it usually means a single individual will be in some stress until it can find its way back to the correct situation (ie. shoaling and with space.) WD

When you find out these things its usually important to start working on finding the new home immediately as it can be difficult sometimes. By providing good water stats you will be doing the best you can in the meantime but in the cases where hobbyists have come to define things like 6-minimum guidelines it usually means a single individual will be in some stress until it can find its way back to the correct situation (ie. shoaling and with space.) WD

I will work on finding the Boeseman a new home ASAP.

What, if anything, should I replace him with?

What kind of fish, assuming I have room for anything else would go well in my tank?

Thanks.

You will have room for a few more fish once the rainbow is gone. It pays to look through the stock at the LFS and come ask about compatibility. We should be able to help you pick out some nice fish from among the ones that appeal to you.

Most reactions

Back