Is My Sunshine Platy Pregnant

joehj40

Reaction score
i would like to know wether my platy is pregnant or ill, i have just moved 3 sunset platies in to a new tank . there are 2 females and 1 male but the male sometimes chases one of the females , she often hides behind the filter and i would like to know wether she is pregnant ill or distressed . i have a photo of her and my other female.(could you please tell me how you caan tell when the fish are in the early stages of pregnancy.
thanks, joe

Attachments

• IMAG0117.jpg
    IMAG0117.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMAG0118.jpg
    IMAG0118.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 54
My twopenn'orth (which isn't worth that much, btw!) is that the foreground fish in the first piccy does look like it has a gonopodium - can you post up a closer image? You might well get an answer to your original question that way!

In the 2nd pic, the fish doesn't look right to me. It could just be the angle at which the photo is taken, but it looks like the fish is swollen in front of its dorsal fin. Pregnancy only causes a swelling in the abdomen.

I hope one of the livebearer experts can give you a better idea.

The fish in the foreground of the first picture is indeed a male. The heavy fish in the second picture cannot be sexed from that picture. If it is a female, it is well fed, not especially close to a fry drop.

Most reactions

Back