Is my sideboard strong enough

Gaviningram

Reaction score
I have ordered a fluvel Roma 240. Will my sideboard be strong enough to safely carry the tank/water and all the bits and bobs

Attachments

• IMG-20210929-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20210929-WA0000.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 40
I have ordered a fluvel Roma 240. Will my sideboard be strong enough to safely carry the tank/water and all the bits and bobs
id say its fine if its very hard wood and the area is wider than the area of the tank's bottom

What you need to bare in mind here is that when a tanks empty it weighs very little once substrate plants decorations water etc go in it weights 5 times or more what it did when empty

You want to make sure the cabinet has been treated with something to make sure water can’t penatrate the wood and rot it out too

What you need to bare in mind here is that when a tanks empty it weighs very little once substrate plants decorations water etc go in it weights 5 times or more what it did when empty

You want to make sure the cabinet has been treated with something to make sure water can’t penatrate the wood and rot it out too

Strangely this Works the opposite way in big aircraft the more weight the more control you get...weird I know!

Also how thick is the wood? has it got plenty of support on the inside and are the biscuit or mortice and tennon joints glued well?

Are supports braced with metal L plates underneath?

Take some pics of the inside corners (open the doors) so we can see the supports inside the cabinet. Overall, appearance wise , it looks great and has storage space as well for storing your fishie supplies.

On my sideboard, I support underneath the sideboard so it won’t sag.

Even though my sideboard is solid oak, I always worry it will sag or bow under weight of tank after a few years. So for my own peace of mind I add legs underneath as support.

Wood support fitted under oak sideboard.
1F832EFF-8BE1-44FC-806F-D0EF870E2BA0.jpeg

I did have another sideboard but cannot find photograph but that one had metal adjustable legs from IKEA fitted underneath so there are various ways of adding support in long sideboards to help prevent sagging or bowing of the sideboard.

I actually think it looks fine. That is a very well built sideboard. My only question is what runs through the middle of it. But really it is only extra safety.

Before you do anything, please make sure that you read the small print.

New aquariums have warranties lasting two years average. The warranty is void if the correct stand/cabinet is not used and anything happens to the aquarium leading to a failure.

Home contents insurance will likely NOT cover damage from a failed aquarium if it is on household furniture and not on the appropriate manufactured stand

So read the policy notes first and if in doubt, call the insurer before doing anything. I got caught that way and it was extremely expensive

Before you do anything, please make sure that you read the small print.

New aquariums have warranties lasting two years average. The warranty is void if the correct stand/cabinet is not used and anything happens to the aquarium leading to a failure.

Home contents insurance will likely NOT cover damage from a failed aquarium if it is on household furniture and not on the appropriate manufactured stand

So read the policy notes first and if in doubt, call the insurer before doing anything. I got caught that way and it was extremely expensive
Sometimes life is just a pain in the preferably a.

I would think a yoga mat might work, good idea.

Personally I would look into ways of bracing the sideboard just to make sure.

Joey DIY uses a calculation to work out how much weight his size of wood will support when building a stand, then builds a stand he believes might hold double or at least more or something the weight he needs it to.

I‘m too lazy to do the conversions. What‘s the weight of the tank & water? I have a 90 G tank that weighs 160 pds empty and now ~800 pds. filled. My guess is your sideboard is as sturdy as the homemade stand mine is on.

Most reactions

Back