Is my loach a Coolie loach???????

ruffneck

Reaction score
I had be reasearching my coolie loach I bought from pet smart but it turns out the coolie loachs I've seen around my area are all brown with no other color which is different from all the pics. Mine is also 5" long and very very skinny. Are they just a different kind of coolie loach. Any help would be great.

Also how many clown loachs can you have in a 55 gallon tank. I already have 2 full grown corys, a so called coolie loach that are all bottom dewellers and also two bolvain rams that seem to be on the bottom most of the time?

Some Kuhlis lack stripes. I had 4 normally striped kuhlis, one that was all black, and one that was more of a solid brown color.

It's probably a Black Kuhlie Loach (even though they are brown)

You need a group of at least 4 clown loaches for them to thrive. You can keep 4 in your tank but you will need to get a bigger tank in 2 -3 years.

I also have in my 55 gallon:
4 rosy barbs (2 mature + 2 small)
3 rainbow basmittis (small)
2 angel fish (small)
2 gold barbs (matue)
6 blue longfined danios
and some neons and blow glows

would it still be okay to bring in clown loaches?

Check out www.loaches.com for comprehensive pics of every imaginable loach type. maybe you'll see your guy somewhere in there.

Clown loaches need to be in a group of 3 in prefferably a 90 gallon tank. I would say 75 is the absolute minnimum and you'd be better off not getting any. Why not look into some of the other loaches? There are plenty of beautiful botias that have the same character and activity level but don't grow as large and most are just as attractive and usualy hardier too.

Maybe go for Zebra loaches (up to 6) or a nice group of again maybe 6 coolie loaches? Other nice ones are Polkadot Loaches, Dwarf Chain Loaches and Skunk Loaches (although they can be a bit nippy!)...

Ben

...Maybe it's a weather loach?

Most reactions

Back