Is my duckweed saveable?

AmyKieran

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I’ve attached a photo of my duckweed in my outside container

It’s all turned white in a day, its in full sun (as much sun as we get in uk) all day ?

Can I save this or is it all dead?

Attachments

• 00CB98B2-CE14-4BA2-9E64-6506EE53418E.jpeg
    00CB98B2-CE14-4BA2-9E64-6506EE53418E.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 59
I’ve attached a photo of my duckweed in my outside container

It’s all turned white in a day, its in full sun (as much sun as we get in uk) all day ?

Can I save this or is it all dead?
possibly, put it under aquarium light

If you manage to kill it without harming your fish please share the secret.
Put a single dead leaf anywhere near your tank(s) and you will be back in a few months asking for advice on how to get rid of it :rofl:

Hint: You can't

You can't kill duckweed if you try...
Actually you can. All plants need 14 elements other than CO2 water and light to grow. If just just one is missing it might die. if it is missing several yes it will die. I have seen it in my own tank although at the time I didn't know what happened. Fertilize the water. Since many fertilizers assume your water has some of the nutrients also do a partial water change to be sure. There is still some great in the photo so they are not dead yet.

Actually you can. All plants need 14 elements other than CO2 water and light to grow. If just just one is missing it might die. if it is missing several yes it will die. I have seen it in my own tank although at the time I didn't know what happened. Fertilize the water. Since many fertilizers assume your water has some of the nutrients also do a partial water change to be sure. There is still some great in the photo so they are not dead yet.

You know what I meant! duckweed is super, super hard to kill off, to the point that many of us have tried and failed!

I found duckweed thriving and propagating in a bucket of bleach solution I was soaking some fish stuff in once. It's recently reappeared in one of my tanks where it hasn't been present in like, eight months, without anything new added to that tank. Some dried out piece must have been stuck to some rarely used piece of equipment and rehydrated or something.

So yes, technically it can die off, but it's so hard to get rid of, that it's become a bit of a joke to many of us who really, really don't want duckweed in our tanks at all!

Most reactions

Back