Is My Banjo Catfish Okay?

SaMoNaMe2010

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi.
Yesterday I Got a Banjo Catfish, but i didnt realy know much about them, but now i know that they prefer sand and like to hide.
On the day i got it he headed staright for the bogwood and i didnt see him again that day.
Today he has jut lay there on the bottom,
He is perfectly alive, as an inquisitive shrimp has proved by crawling on top of him and gatting shaken of,
But i heard that they like sand to bury themselves in and i have gravel so i am wondering if he is okay, also he has not gone back to his hiding place so I am not sure weather he is Unhappy or just lazy?

Thanks For Your Help (If You Help lol)

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 128
my banjo catfish is the laziest fish i have ever seen. sometimes it seems he doesnt move for days, but they are more of a nocturnal fish and come out at night (though even then he still doesnt move much)

i have sand for mine, he loves it, totally buries himself in it, all you see is a little hole where his mouth sticks out!

Also i have hit another potential problem, when i fed the Banjo Catfish, Because it is nocturnal, it never eats during the day, but i have 2 dwarf gorami and they eat all the food i put in before the catfish have a chance to eat it, so i am not sure if it is getting any food. Anyone got any solutions?

I suggest you switch over to sand compleatly, or atleast for half of the tank.

As for feeding, feed when its active i.e at night...

Okay i'll see what i can do about the sand, and i'll probably start putting food in like when its completley dark because that is the only time i have seen him moving anyway.
Sounds good to me, try and get the sand in ASAP. Kids play sand (from argos/BnQ etc) will do perfectly.

Okay i'll see what i can do about the sand, and i'll probably start putting food in like when its completley dark because that is the only time i have seen him moving anyway.
Sounds good to me, try and get the sand in ASAP. Kids play sand (from argos/BnQ etc) will do perfectly.
Okay, I'll try and get some ASAP then. Is there anything i need to do to the sand before i put it in?

Yeah you need to give it a good wash in a bucket with cold water to ge rid of all the silt. Do this bit by bit, and add it to the aquarium (after removing the gravel). When you wash it, just do arround a kilo at a time and keep washing it (and using your hands to move it about) until the water in the bucket is clear and not cloudy.

Most reactions

Back