is it true?

princeegrl

Reaction score
is it true that cichlids are the easiest freshwater fish to raise in an established freshwater tank

I would say yes, they are very simple and easy to take care of and also one of the most smartest family fish there is, there is over 1000 differnt types of cichlids and the American ones are the smarter ones, but the only trouble with them is the size that they grow and they size of the tank you need, the avg size tank for a American Cichlid is 75g.

princeegrl said:
is it true that cichlids are the easiest freshwater fish to raise in an established freshwater tank
That is a pretty generic statement... ;)

Cichlids vary from hardy ones as VIP mentioned, but species like discus also belongs in the cichlid group, which isn't exactly easy to maintain...

If you pick the right ones, they will be hardy...

I guess in general cichlids, being bigger fish.....will be hardier than other fish due to their size...I liken it to a bigger tank as opposed to a smaller tank.....easier to control a larger environment and less effects of mistakes....like it would take a lot to overfeed a large cichlid and not as much to feed a smaller fish like a platy, guppy or tetra......

That said, there are exceptions....discus being one of them....(IMHO....hamburger fish....the same size as a hamburger bun :p)

Most reactions

Back