Is it true? Plants vs Algae

AquaQueen

Reaction score
We have a 2000 gallon pond and we are having trouble with the dreaded green algae. We talked to a pond guy and he had me check all of the amonia, nitrites, nitrates and so on. Everything looks great. He said we don't need a bio filter, just to start adding plants and that will really help with the algae. Any thoughts

Nep

I think plants do help with algae, theres a lady on eBay who sells TONS of pond plants in case you can't get a hold of any. I've heard people keep algae eaters in ponds too,maybe a couple of those would help :huh:

If there are plants, they use nutrients, so there isn't so much nutrients for algaes.

However... If you have pond in outside, sun stimulates algaes alot. Do you use UV-sterílizer? It helps to prevent algaes. By the way, sometimes green algae is a good sign of excellent water ;)

Hi Aquaqueen, I posted a reply for you under "the birds are eating my fish" The same remedy I suggested for keeping the birds at bay also keeps the algea at bay as well, its worth considering if you plan to have the pond for quite a few years.

An old wives tale was recently revived and found to be true by none less than New Scientist magazine. At this time of year, when the harvest is going on, find somewhere that was growing barley, (the stuff they use for making beer), ideally an organic source. Collect a couple of handfuls of the remaining straw, put it in a string type vegetable bag with some stones to sink it, and chuck it in.

Other straw types work to a certain extent, but Barley is best. It works best in a well oxygenated place, so if you have a pump/fall/fountain, put it near that.

Apparently, the straw contains a compound which inhibits the growth of certain "lower" plants, algae included. It is part of the plants protection system.

Remember, if the source of your straw is not organic, soak it in several changes of water to remove any pesticides etc. before you put it in.

There is a link to the article here...

http://www.newscientist.com/lastword/artic...e.jsp?id=lw1034

Here is another useful link on the straw issue, (it appears in the NS article, but has several errors - I fixed them).

http://www.rothamsted.bbsrc.ac.uk/pie/Jona...ley%20straw.pdf

*** EDIT ***

If anyone tries this, I'd be most interested in the results, the article above has detailed information on the amount you should use, how long it takes to get going and how long it lasts.

Interesting stuff.

Goodaye Lateral line, very good article you sourced there. Our local (the swan river) has an algae bloom every year and we loose thousands of fish to the dreaded green algae. I wonder if the local water management knows of this remedy, I might have to send them an email. Good one Lateral.

EDIT: just a postnote to what lateral was saying about the barley straw, a lot of online aquarium supplies now stock Barley Straw Extract.

Thanks for all of the great ideas! Just wanted to let you guys know that the plants are working! Matter of fact this morning there was absoulutely no algae floating at the top and the water was clearer then it has been in weeks.

Nep

Most reactions

Back