Is it safe to recycle substrate from an old infected tank?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

joelfernandes

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm setting up a new 75-gallon tank and I have some old Fluval Stratum that was in a tank that had a camallanus worm outbreak. This substrate has been out in a bag for more than six months now. Is this safe to use? Same applies to some gravel that I was planning to use for just filling.

I do not know if the worms might still be an issue, but for this plus other important reasons I would not use this stratum. Like all plant substrates, they have bacterial issues which can be harmful especially to substrate fish, and they are not suitable as a substrate for such fish anyway. The supposed nutrient value probably has a lifespan, though nothing mentions this on their website--but if it was not the case, surely they would promote this as never wearing out. I've no idea as to the intended fish species, but cories and loaches cannot be housed over this, for the bacterial issues and the size. I tried another plant substrate several years ago, after two years it got dumped in a hole in the back yard. Inert sand is more suitable for plants and fish.

re bottom dwellers, would it still be an issue if there's a layer of sand on top of the stratum?

Yes. The bacterial issues are in the Stratum and when fish dig into it, trouble. Sand on top will mix and be on the bottom in time, due to the natural water thermal currents as well as any fish digging. I know some people use these substrates, but I have yet to see any hard evidence they have much if any value.

Most reactions

Back