Is It Illegal To Post Fish?

aaronnorth

www.ukaps.org
Reaction score
i got talking to one of the maidenhead aquatics assistant and he said it is illegal to post fish according to the government unless you have a licsense and you can only post eggs and fry that are a certain size.

Legally or Illegally!!!
I post Killifish to different parts of Europe and eggs to Europe/World.
I know the GPO dont like/Forbid you from posting water through their mechanics for obvious reasons.
GPO is cheap, other carriers are expensive wich totally negates the private breeder from distributing their stock.
No guesses to which I use.
So Packaging is paramount
http://www.fishforums.net/content/Killifis...Transportation/
Regards
BigC

When i tried to post my bichir, i put a sticker saying "Caution, live fish" on it, took it to the post office and they asked if it was fry, and i said no, its young but not fry, and they refused to take it. :crazy:

It is illegal to post fish via Royal Mail but with private couriers its down to their own terms and regulations.

It is illegal to post fish via Royal Mail but with private couriers its down to their own terms and regulations.
what about royal mail special delivery, because all the bettas i see for sale, ebey or not are always royal mail special delivery...which is next day by 9am.

In the US, you can ship fish via the USPS but they have very strict guidelines pertaining to the water. The courier services, such as UPS and FedEx, are the best way to go but more expensive. From reading another thread, it sees that is the one thing that is much cheaper in the UK than it is in the US. A 1 lb package shipped overnight across town here is about $20, across country is about $50. And 1lb is only about a pint of water so not many fish.

what about royal mail special delivery, because all the bettas i see for sale, ebey or not are always royal mail special delivery...which is next day by 9am.

All those people are breaking the law. The only legal way to post fish is through a proper courier those people just like to post via RM as there cheap and they think there is a loop hole personally those people do not have the welfare of the fish at the forefront of there mind just making a quick buck and saving money.

All those people are breaking the law. The only legal way to post fish is through a proper courier those people just like to post via RM as there cheap and they think there is a loop hole personally those people do not have the welfare of the fish at the forefront of there mind just making a quick buck and saving money.

That's really bad.....some couriers aren't that bad anyway!

Technically it's not Illegal to post fish via RM, as it's not a 'law', it's just RM's 'rules' that prohibit it ;)

Most reactions

Back