Is Hirari PraziPro (praziquantel) sensitive to light?

Firestorm_1976

Reaction score
Is it ok to have the lights on while treating with Hirari PraziPro (praziquantel)? I am quarantining (new fish QT) four otocinclus, and preventatively treating them with PraziPro (three of them look good, but one does look skinny with sucked in belly, so fingers crossed that this helps). I would like to keep the lights on tomorrow, if possible as 1. I am trying to grow algae in the QT tank and 2. The QT tank has plants, and last time I turned the lights off for the treatment (with different fish), the plants started melting and caused a huge mess and poor water quality in the tank.

Thanks so much in advance!

All chemicals including Praziquantel are sensitive to light but more UV light from the sun. Aquarium lights (LEDs & Fluorescent) are not going to affect the medication.

What Colin said re light is on target. What you do not want to run when medicating is carbon.

Otos are notorious for having sunken bellies which is often a dietary issue rather that a disease one. They are finicky eaters and often are not properly fed on their way to where we buy them. That said, if the fish does have wasting disease, I would not use Praziquantel as my first choice even though it is one of the meds. normally in my medicine box. I would treat using Flubendazole. Often wasting disease will reach a stage where a fish is not eating and:
Flubendazole is useful for controlling intestinal parasites, especially most of the protozoa, some nematodes and gill flukes. Flubendazole is active through adsorption into the fish’s skin and gills. The drug does not have to be eaten to be effective. This makes the drug useful for treating fishes which have quit eating due to irritation from infection of the throat and gut.
The above was written by Dr. Charles Harrison. PhD. He wrote:
Eradicating Hydra and Other Pests with Flubendazole
From: Journal of the American Killifish Association September/October 2003
Vol.36, No. 5

I would recommend that you read it--> http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/FlubendazoleArticle.pdf

I keep two meds in my med, kit which I buy from Dr. Harrison's site, Flubendazole and Levamisole HCL. I do not have to medicate often, but I learned some time back trying to locate specific meds on short notice and getting them quickly could be a problem. So I have my medicine box with a number of meds for the most common things. They usually expire unused and I replace them. However, I was keeping 20 -28 tanks and breeding some rare and somewhat pricey plecos. So it made sense for me to be a good "boy scout" and be prepared.

Next, Praziquantel is most effective when fed. But It can be use both as a dip or bath treatment. But it it may not be the right med if the fish has wasting disease which are caused by internal parasites that are eliminated by Flubendazole. It should be used on its own and not in combination with other meds.

Finally, I normally do not proactively treat new fish in a Q tank unless I know for what I am treating.

What Colin said re light is on target. What you do not want to run when medicating is carbon.

Otos are notorious for having sunken bellies which is often a dietary issue rather that a disease one. They are finicky eaters and often are not properly fed on their way to where we buy them. That said, if the fish does have wasting disease, I would not use Praziquantel as my first choice even though it is one of the meds. normally in my medicine box. I would treat using Flubendazole. Often wasting disease will reach a stage where a fish is not eating and:

The above was written by Dr. Charles Harrison. PhD. He wrote:
Eradicating Hydra and Other Pests with Flubendazole
From: Journal of the American Killifish Association September/October 2003
Vol.36, No. 5

I would recommend that you read it--> http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/FlubendazoleArticle.pdf

I keep two meds in my med, kit which I buy from Dr. Harrison's site, Flubendazole and Levamisole HCL. I do not have to medicate often, but I learned some time back trying to locate specific meds on short notice and getting them quickly could be a problem. So I have my medicine box with a number of meds for the most common things. They usually expire unused and I replace them. However, I was keeping 20 -28 tanks and breeding some rare and somewhat pricey plecos. So it made sense for me to be a good "boy scout" and be prepared.

Next, Praziquantel is most effective when fed. But It can be use both as a dip or bath treatment. But it it may not be the right med if the fish has wasting disease which are caused by internal parasites that are eliminated by Flubendazole. It should be used on its own and not in combination with other meds.

Finally, I normally do not proactively treat new fish in a Q tank unless I know for what I am treating.
Thank you! I do have Fritz Expel-P on hand, but decided to start with PraziPro as it doesn't look like wasting disease visually and whichever parasite might be responsible (if any) is a gamble. So, I started with that. Fingers crossed it works, and things turn around. Very happy to hear that LED lights are ok.

Fritz Expel-P is Levamisole HCL- great for Camallanus, but it is also not the med of choice for wasting despite what Fritz says.

Most reactions

Back