FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have a dish I'd like to use as a Java Fern anchor---is it ok to use glazed ceramic in a freshwater tank?

well I don't really see the harm, as long as it is cleaned and has no cracked or sharp pieces on it then it would pretty much be the same stuff the walls of your aquarium is made of.

I'd say just clean it thoroughly, before placing it into the tank. Hope this helps.
-Ashley 

Just make sure it is really glazed and not painted as some thrift shops do that lol.

Ceramic itself is inert so it is safe to submerge in water

One thing I do with all of my decorations is to soak them in water before putting them into my tank.  That way if something is painted and will bleed into the water I know before I put it in. 

Tongue_Flicker said:
Just make sure it is really glazed and not painted as some thrift shops do that lol.

Ceramic itself is inert so it is safe to submerge in water
Was just about to say, ceramic without the glaze would be even better, ceramic is inert and is totally safe for aquarium use, in saltwater, we use ceramic plugs to put coral on, and introduce it to the tank immediately from the packaging with no preparation.

Haha glazed is okay in freshwater. Not really adept with what's safe in saltwater aquaria. The advantage of glazed ceramic is that they could grow green algae fast without permanently staining the ceramic surface plus it is smooth so it would gentle for algae grazing fishes :D

Most reactions

Back