Is Fish Keeping Cruel?

There are fish in my tanks that are extinct in the wild. They are well treated and are thriving. They were saved from extinction by people bringing them into aquariums because their natural habitat has been completely destroyed. I do not consider saving a fish from extinction as being cruel but I could be wrong. What if there is never an environment that they could be returned to? Isn't that just prolonging the extinction of the species? I have very mixed feelings about removing fish from the wild where their numbers are small and the habitat is still thriving but I have no problem keeping fish in my tank that would not exist except for being kept by hobbyists.
I agree with RDD1952, this subject is deeper than we are ever going to be able to settle in this kind of arena. I might be able to settle it in my own mind with some deep thought over time but a forum frankly doesn't lend itself well to self examination.

I'm, generally, uncomfortable with wild fish. many fish are now extinct (in the wild), because of our hobby! Is the hobby cruel? well many of those who keep fish are, though usually through, ignorance, as opposed to malice. as for being the "saviours" of doomed species? i wonder how many of these, would not have got into trouble, had it not been for the "demands" of the trade. even if their, eventual extinction was caused by "environmental" changes.
this dilemma is what stops me keeping Marine!

I'm, generally, uncomfortable with wild fish. many fish are now extinct (in the wild), because of our hobby! Is the hobby cruel? well many of those who keep fish are, though usually through, ignorance, as opposed to malice. as for being the "saviours" of doomed species? i wonder how many of these, would not have got into trouble, had it not been for the "demands" of the trade. even if their, eventual extinction was caused by "environmental" changes.
this dilemma is what stops me keeping Marine!
[/quote]

i agree with this, i stopped keeping marine fish because most of the fish are wild, i feel that if you are going to put an animal in a tank that is not kept right it is to cruel, but if done right and with the tank space needed to keep the fish it is not cruel at all its giving it a stable clean health enviorment that it can live in for many years and reach its full size. But if your going to keep an oscar for exmaple in a 20 gallon tank thats unfiltered i feel that is cruel. So it really all comes down to how well you keep your tanks, and that your fish have enough room to keep them for life, not just for a year or two.

Wild caught fish are the most desirable of all, IMHO. They are true examples of what a species really is instead of what it has become after many generations of fish farming. I don't mean to imply that people shouldn't buy farmed fish, but when wild caught is available it's often superior to them.

Even the popular bronze C. aeneus has better coloration when it's wild caught. They are hard to find these days.

Isn't she beautiful?
BronzeC.jpg

My own opinion is that the keeping of all animals - ANY animals - in captivity is yet another thing that humans do to gratify themselves. The whole issue is absolutely loaded with shades of grey. I mean, personally I don't consider that it's wrong to produce or eat meat. I say this because the property my rented house is on is mainly for beef production. The cattle wander freely around large paddocks, graze all day, behave naturally, have their babies with them... the only bad thing that happens to them is going to the abattoir, which is a few hours out of otherwise happy lives, and as long as there is no unnecessary suffering and they are killed humanely, I dont' consider it cruel to raise them for meat. But then have a good look at feedlots, and whole issue changes. Cattle standing in tiny pens in their own excreta, no room to turn around or lie down or walk anywhere - prevented from exercising away their fat - with nothing to do but eat, eat, eat, all day, wasting grain desperately needed by hungry people overseas. That is in my opinion morally reprehensible - but it doesn't make ALL beef production wrong, or stop me eating beef.

And that's basically how I feel about fishkeeping. Just because some people do the wrong thing by their animals, and because the way they enter the hobby (either dragging them out of the wild or farming them) is rarely humane, I don't think it makes all fishkeeping cruel. Certainly, I believe that my own fish are happy.

Most tank raised fish would not survive in the wild, because they are used to fish tanks. I have to accept that the production of fish for the trade is essentially cruel. The fish you don't see are the ones crammed into tiny, overcrowded growout tanks, culled (cruelly, often by exposure to air) because of the slightest defect. And the breeders, living under the same conditions or worse, culled as soon as their useful breeding lives are over. That's cruel. But the fact is that as a single hobbyist, by stopping buying fish I will do virtually nothing to stop this from happening. The way I see it, the best thing I can do is to take as many fish as I can into my own tanks and give them a good life free of cruelty, neglect or ignorance. I believe that the fault for continuing cruelty (out of fish factories) lies largely, but not entirely, with LFS/LPS which give so little information, and who will sell to people who choose to ignore what advice they are given. It also lies with the buyers who do so little research before purchasing fish.

I think it's important to design the tank for the benefit of the fish. This doesn't mean that technicolour gravel and fancy ornaments are bad, but it does mean they need to be used carefully. Even tank raised fish will not feel comfortable in a bare tank, or in some fluoro marvel. I try to simulate their environments to suit their instincts so they don't spend their lives searching for something they know should be there and that isn't.

Well It is to my understanding that fish have a minimal memory, meaning that they cant remember something from a year ago or 2 years ago so what is the difference if you buy it in a store catch it your self or buy a native its all seems the same to me. I would say taking fish from the wild is cruel but is breeding them for hobbyist any better? Thats like raising kids for labor this isn't china (No afence to any one thats in china). So I think that there are pros and cons to everything and if your fish keeping the right way then our fish will live a happier life anyways,I look at it like this would I rather go work for my food or have some bring it to me for free?As much fun as the work sounds the free all ways sound better. good night TFF

Look my panda garra. He was once swimming in the mountain streams of Myanmar. Till someone caught him but him in a box and shipped him to the states so I could buy him. I doubt the fish cares about that or even remembers it. I agree with inchworm there are indeed reasons to by wild, in my case the captive breeding of this fish still hasn't been figured out completely. Wild fish does have better quality, the only thing that can come close IMO are German Bred fish. Though I wouldn't compare aquarium fish to kids in china, all we really ask of them is to swim around there tanks and do what they would normally do.
IMG_6781-1.jpg

Well It is to my understanding that fish have a minimal memory.

thats not quite true, it has been proven that fish do have a long term memory.

not so dim either, though how they find out is beyond me. i have read, in more than one place, that a "tropical fish" (whatever they mean by that) is about as intelligent as your average horse :blink: . if this is true, they are more than aware of how they are kept.

Well It is to my understanding that fish have a minimal memory.

thats not quite true, it has been proven that fish do have a long term memory.

not so dim either, though how they find out is beyond me. i have read, in more than one place, that a "tropical fish" (whatever they mean by that) is about as intelligent as your average horse :blink: . if this is true, they are more than aware of how they are kept.

"tropical fish" is abit vague of them. I mean a fish such as an oscar appears to have much more intelligence than say a neon (no offense to them :lol:).

IMO fishkeeping is cruel when you get idiots keeping fish in wrong sized tanks, for example an oscar in a 30 gallon. and they cant be bothered to listen to advice and or research there fish properly

Are you saying that there aren't enough captive fish for a large enough genepool?

Well, not really when you consider that all the fish will have been line-bred so they look like they do. Wild fish aren't 'pretty' (I use pretty in the sense of 'ooh, look at the pretty guppies') because if they were, they'd be eaten. Fish are captive bred to appeal to the wider market- bettas, livebearers, gouramis, albino forms, golden forms, and so forth- and also to cut down on costs. The use of inbreeding means that fish once deemed bulletproof are now so weakened we encourage people to steer clear.

But surely you can get enough genetic variation by sourcing fish from somewhere else in captivity, for example if i have one pretty common fish here, surely somewhere in europe, US, asia, there are a hell of a lot of fish that weren't bred from the same strain?

yes its cruel but we only live once so why not enjoy life while you have it with whatever hobby you want, fox hunting ect. i find fishkeeping very rewarding and seen as there is no after life if we have the resources to catch fish and atleast make a tank seem a little like their habitat then why not keep fish?

yes its cruel but we only live once so why not enjoy life while you have it with whatever hobby you want, fox hunting ect. i find fishkeeping very rewarding and seen as there is no after life if we have the resources to catch fish and atleast make a tank seem a little like their habitat then why not keep fish?

So your 100% sure theres no after life then?

Its not cruel if the fish are kept correctly. If they have correct tank size, food, water quality etc then I dont see a problem.

Most reactions

Back