Is Facebook Marketplace a Bad Idea?

hurgerburger

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all,
This school year I will be babysitting a friend's fish for her while she studies abroad for a year. She's giving me two tanks- one 2.5 gallon tank with nothing but plants in it (I'm planning to add cherry shrimp), and a 10 gallon with two small plecos, a dwarf gourami, and a ranchu goldfish. She said if I wanted to I could upgrade the 10 gallon tank, since I mentioned earlier I felt it was too small for the goldfish (especially with its housemates), but I'd have to pay for it since she would only be paying for the essentials like food, water conditioner, etc. I was just looking around on facebook marketplace, and I found some guy nearby selling a used 20 gallon tank for 20 dollars, which doesn't seem bad considering the price of new ones and other used tanks I have seen. From the picture it looks like it has been used for fish. Is it a good idea to buy used tanks? I'm a college student so I don't have too much money I could play around with. A plastic bin is another option, since I don't really want to keep all those fish in the 10 gal. What you you all think? I'll include screenshots of the post below.
Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 1.54.38 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 2.01.41 PM.png

I’ve had quite a bit off there and it’s been good so far you just have to keep an eye out to see what comes up. Sometimes you get some real bargains and really good quality stuff other times it’s just not what you need…

Not super helpful I know but what I’m saying is don’t be scared of it haha

Prices of tanks can vary wildly. I've gotten used tanks that are still great after 20 years, and others that couldn't be used.

The most important part of buying a used tank is that it does not leak. The only way to know this is to see it filled and then to be there chatting with the seller for a bit so you can check for any leaks after it has been filled for a bit of time.
Most other problems are usually visible like scratchs or chips out to the glass.

I have a coplue of used 6 foot tanks I got that had to be 15 or 20 years old when I bought them. That was about 8 or 10 years ago. From the same person, who was exiting the hobby, I also got a 20L and a 40L, an AC110 filter. All the tanks had lids, some had filters I sold to get what I preferred on the tanks.

My used 75 leaked after about 16 years, my original new 1st tank, a 45 gal., leaked after about 8 years.

As my experience shows, new or old tanks may leak or they may be solid and never leak. The one thing was can do when buying used is to see them filled.

Umm. this is a used tank meaning it was filled and was then emptied to be sold. So if the OP has the seller fill it again, according to you as well as to me, if it then doesn't leak, it should be OK. :drinks:

I have purchased tanks, fish, filters etc from FBM. However I prefer my local FB aquatic groups. You get to know some of the regulars there. But many people are not members and will use FBM. I’ve never had a bad experience at either place. People seem to always say if a tank leaks and is suitable for reptiles or other animals or that it needs to be recaulked.

A 200 litre plastic storage container can make a nice temporary home for the fish.

If you do buy a secondhand aquarium, check the seams where the glass joins together. The silicon (glue holding the glass together) should not have any bubbles or cream or white areas in it. Bubbles or cream/ white areas in silicon is bad. The silicon should be firm to touch but slightly squishy. If it is hard and brittle, it needs replacing.

If you have any concerns, post some pictures showing the seams of the tank so we can check it for bubbles and discolouration.

Umm. this is a used tank meaning it was filled and was then emptied to be sold. So if the OP has the seller fill it again, according to you as well as to me, if it then doesn't leak, it should be OK. :drinks:
If you want to split hairs, yes, you’d think so. He’ll find out for sure when it’s filled again at home.

If you want to split hairs, yes, you’d think so. He’ll find out for sure when it’s filled again at home.
This is true of a new tank in the store as well. The difference being the store won’t let you fill it there and wait. Either one could be damaged in the move. It is not pointless to fill it to check for leaks because if it does, you definitely don’t want it. Then, whether new or used, baby the completely empty tank with padding to get it home safely and carry it evenly by the bottom frame. If it were to start leaking when you get it home, although the seams were checked and looked good, something may have happened in transit. That would have more to do with care in handling than new or used.

Oh, and what Colin said. 🙂

Most reactions

Back