Is Ammonia Toxic To Inverts/amphibians?

paulnwgb

Reaction score
Hi

Very new to the hobby - in the process of fishless cycling my first tank. Am desperate to see some life in there as my cycle is taking a looooong time. I was wondering if I could add snails/shrimps/frogs?

Thanks!

Hi, ammonia is dangerous to all life but snails are alot more tolerable to it than fish, shrimps shouldnt have any ammonia and im not sure about amphibians.
i would go for a few snails to liven things up.
Lloyd

I'd imagine ammonia is toxic to amphibians, It is to newts (I know they aren't amphibians). Shrimp should be added to an established tank. If you have a large value of ammonia I would still be sceptical about adding snails; they'll just try and leave the water until they are ok with it.

How long has your cycle been taking out of curiosity? and what tank size?

hi, thought I would weigh in the the frog portion - -

yes! ammonia is toxic to amphibians - it burns off their slime coat (part of their immune system) and can quickly bring on the disease Red Leg which is incurable and deadly - the only way to prevent Red Leg? Clean water :rolleyes:

shrimps, as has been mentioned should be added to mature tanks with very very very little to no ammonia. i seem to get hitchhiker snails in very immature tanks, i don't know if its healthy for them, but somehow they manage to continue reproducing. Makes me believe it doesn't matter, though if you were getting fancy snails i would prolly introduce them to mature tanks for safety.

Most reactions

Back