is aeration necessary for cycle period?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TAZZ

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi all i just got my 33 US gallon aquarium =) hurrah for me =P

anyway the kit i got gave me a water filter, water heater, some water supliments such as water conditioner, waste treatment, cycle treatment, flake food.

bought some funky white and grey gravel too...

my question is, there is no aeration machine in the kit. my plan is to run the tank with water for about aweek (hopefully) or as long as it takes to cycle. do i need an aeration machine for the cycle period.. or can i wait a few days while the tank is establishing, then add in the aeration unit?

im gunna have to go back to the store for some fish, and more ornaments, all i got were 2 plastic plant things =

thanks

tazz

well i guess the others have thier own thoughts here and reasons for use and not use, i used to use whisper pumps for air, stopped a few years back when i needed to upgrade it,and never replaced it, never had the need after that as i had only kept catfish. now i am getting the tank ready for co2 i have 2 new pumps 1 for each tank. (not used yet, using them to break up the water surface with help from the flow form the filter spray bar. if i get round to installing htem lol ) i guess it depend on the fish, and other things to do with tank, such as plants they use co2 during the day and oxygen at nite, i know people who do and dont. well thats my view i am sure someone here will help out more....would be great to hear the whys and whys nots...

Tazz, your filter should supply enough oxygen for your tank. The oxygen is dissolved into the water by gas exchange caused by water movement at the surface. All an air pump does is disturb the surface = water movement. Fishkeepers often believe that the bubbles rising put oxygen into the water which is not the case. If your filter has a venturi fitted this can also increase oxygenation again by more movement.
Any more Q's feel free. :thumbs: Mac.

Most reactions

Back