Is 5 Days Without A Feed Ok For Bettas?

DragonLass

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm going away for a few days.. well, 5 days all up. From what I understand my main community tank will be just fine, but I'm a bit concerned about the bettas, since they have a higher metabolism?
I could take them to a friends house, but i'd rather not put them through the stress of being bagged up and taken for a car ride if I don't have to.
Basically i'm leaving on sunday, so they'll get fed sunday morning, then I get back friday afternoon so they'd get another feed then.

this is my story and this is REAL......

this year (i forgot on what month)
but i ship some fishes to brazil
and unfortunatelly brazillian custom not accept my shipment
so they reexport them to me.....
and at last the shipment is coming back to me.....
yah around 4month from indonesia --> brazil --> and indonesia
and i think the fishes die on the shipment
but i dont want to feel curious
so i open the package
and found................

A L L T H E F I S H E S A R E S T I L L A L I V E

what a suprise.....

so for you guys.....
dont worry bout 5 days not feeding betta...
they still alive but maybe not fat anymore (thin).....

cheers

Andree
www.fantasy-aquatic.com
bogor, indonesia

5 days is fine, mine have gone 9 days without food and they were perfectly fine. Mine only get fed 2-3 times a week in the first place.

wow who ever leaves them that long has a heart of ice :unsure:

*arch brow* "That long"? 5 days? 9 days? 2 days? 3 days?

I feed mine every other day, typically. Fasting doesn't hurt them, and it's often recommended to fast them at least once per week to keep them regular, at any rate. The longest mine have gone without food is 11 days, they were fine when I returned. Not even thin.

I actually tossed in a small square of Indian Almond Leaf when I left, so they were sitting in dark, tea like water when I returned. They gobbled up their food like they'd never tasted a pellet so fine (but then, don't they always? :) )

though it is not good for fish to go with out food for periods of time, your betta will be fine. just be sure to give it a bit extra food before u leave so it can bottom pick while ur gone. HAVE FUN!

I would actually recommend not giving him extra food. It's probably more likely that it'll sit at the bottom of the tank and spoil. If you choose to or not, is your call, naturally. Of course, I'd highly recommend a water change the day you leave.

5 days will be fine... Mine have all been ok after 7... The only thing that has ever suffered was the cleanliness of their tanks. Just make sure you do a water change before you leave and make sure that the top is covered so they don't jump out.

thanks everyone, I thought it wouldn't be a problem but it is always good to check with people more knowledgable than yourself :) . I'm hoping to get a friend to come in and check on them mid way through, but if he can't make it or anything nice to know they'll be fine. Of course I will give their tank a good clean before i go so water quality won't suffer.

cheers

Five days should be fine. When you breed betta's, the male will go 5-6 days without food.

wow who ever leaves them that long has a heart of ice :unsure:
False.

I'll chime in with the they'll be fine crew. I left mine for five days this past summer and they all looked great when I came back.

FA~ that's quite a story! I know of a box of fish who got stuck in customs coming from Singapore to a show in Houston, they were trapped for over two weeks and they all survived as well.

I've probably told this story a couple times but I had some bettas shipped to me from synnir right before rita and didn't get them for I'm sure a month or two later and all were alive and well.

So scary. I guess they have to be able to survive for periods of time with no food in the wild so this isn't so unusual. Still feel sorry for them. :*) Tough lil guys eh....except when it comes to getting cold. :sad:
Hugs,
P.

Most reactions

Back