Is 3 Gallons Big Enough For A Betta?

For me I won't keep a betta in anything smaller than 5 gallons.

5 gal is a minimum for me too. They can be active little things, and like to explore a lot.

Imo that tank is only suitable for keeping Shrimp, the advert says "suitable for keeping 2 goldfish"

2 goldfish in a 3 gallon tank!!!

Livewire88 said:
Imo that tank is only suitable for keeping Shrimp, the advert says "suitable for keeping 2 goldfish"

2 goldfish in a 3 gallon tank!!!

I've never seen an advert that actually had the perfect recommendations for an animal like a hamster cage suitable for 2 hamsters and you're just like you couldn't even fit your hand in that cage let alone like a hamster grr!

BlackMoory I think you will find that tank just isn't the right tank. If you can find an affordable 10 gallon you will be glad you did since it will allow you to really enjoy fish keeping and not have to worry so much.

Thank you everyone for your opinions! I really wanted them and will take your advice!

You'd be waaay better off buying your own 5 or 10 gallon. But to answer your question I find that 3 gallons is absolutely fine for a betta. Sure, 5 gallons would be nicer but it's not a necessity.

5 gallons is the minimum tank for betta. Contrary to what most people think, bettas do not live in puddles but in rice paddies which are 1000 gallons +? Plus they are normally active and inquisitive if kept properly.

TallTree01 said:
5 gallons is the minimum tank for betta. Contrary to what most people think, bettas do not live in puddles but in rice paddies which are 1000 gallons +? Plus they are normally active and inquisitive if kept properly.
True, they do not live in mud puddles. But a 2.5 gallon can handle their waste output well, and supplies them with enough swimming space. Especially for long finned males (OHM and HMs with long fins) a smaller space means less stress on their fins. Activity level depends on the bettas personality. I've had some spazzes and some lazy bones. They all have the same base level requirements, though.

the minimum i would keep them is a 5gallon, but the minimum they can be kept in is a 2.5g
But with that price on the tank you could easily buy a 5 or maybe 10 gallon tank, dpending on where you get it from

Sorry the only reason of that tank in particular is cause I have it lying around my house! Not in use!

oh. a betta would be fine in there, but i would include a lot of live plants, etc. so it has things to do

I agree not the best tank but it is 100% better than what he was in! He has a heater but what is the ideal temperature for him? He has a hidout and plant! The filter I planned to use was way too big! So am planning to buy a small filter during this week:

temptank_zpse14fda11.png

This is just going to be a temp tank until I sort out the goldfish!

You can live in a cupboard but a house is better.
It will do until he gets bigger. And by then you will probably want a bigger tank anyway.
The problem with smaller tanks is the unstable bio-load.
A lot of people will say that is too small and will keep multiple males in a large tank with dividers in it. The volume of water in the tank may be more and more stable but the amount of space between the dividers would probably be equal or less than your 3 gallon (US or Imperial?).
Ultimately 3 gallons is better than 2.

Most reactions

Back