Is 29 Gallons Enough?

yellaboo2oo8

Reaction score
ok so i have always had bettas all my life but about a month ago on a whim i decided to get one... the good thing about it was i have fallen in love! i read on an informational webbie that you can house more than one male in a tank if it's big and has many hiding places... with tons of plants... is this true or not? i have a 29 gallon tank i am wanting to get ready and i want to buy 2 or 3 maldes (including the one i already have) plus a few females i then get a couple of fry nests to see what happens... is this a good or bad idea? i already have a water filter large enough for the tank but not so over powering to dissrupt the fish... any input would be gladly excepted!

~*~ Lyds ~*~ :hey:

i wouldnt get any more than one male in a tank that size infact id say the same even if it was double, they would come across eachother they would fight and you would end up with dead fighters if you want to keep more then one in there you would need to get one of the betta separaters and let them road individually.

im not an expert on betta breading but i believe once the male and female have mated they need to be separated also, im sure one of the betta gods or godesses will set me straight if im wrong on that one. other than that good luck with the breeding it can be done very well given the right environment :)

Nooooo. Males can not be kept together under any circumstances. Males cannot be housed with females either. The only time a male and a female can be together is during spawning, and care has to be taken as far as the right time to release the female into the spawn tank, and when to take her out. If you want to house more than one betta in the same tank, get some females... but even then, there's no guarantee they will all get along. If you're interested in breeding, I suggest you do a lot of research... the pinned topics on here and bettysplendens.com are good places to start. :)

Thanks for asking for advice before you attempted anything!

Yes ma'am. :) Just make sure you've got lots of decorations and plants and stuff for hiding places.

Most reactions

Back