Iron stand question

squirrelrabbits

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently picked up a 75 gallon oceanic tank and an iron stand at a garage sale. The owner had it set up as-is until recently, with no problems, but there is an aspect of the iron stand that bothers me: the plane on which the actual tank sits is open. The tank simply sits on the four bars of the iron frame and there is no board or anything there that the tank is resting on (if you look down from over the empty tank, you see the floor). So my question is this: I am about to set the tank up. Should I go over to home depot and get a board cut to lay over the top of the frame and then lay the tank on top of that? Or does tank weight not distribute itself in that way? Also, if I do get a board, is plywood fine? Thanks.

Here's a link to a pic in case my description is unclear:

http://photobucket.com/albums/y190/squirre...ent=Fish003.jpg

I have one like that for my 55 gallon tank and it's been fine for 6 months. It works good in my opinion.

if its not broken, dont fix it.
If the previous owner said it was fine and StarOrbs said his is fine i would just leave it how it is.
BUT
If you dont think its good enough, change it. Its your tank so u've got to be happy with it.
I think plywood would be ok. My dads a builder and he thinks it would be fine, (he has had a few drinks tonite tho :drink: )
what ever u do, good luck

Yah it's a personal feeling if you can't stand it and you think it's goind to collapse just replace or do something that will make you feel better.. :D

Ok thanks guys. I think I'll just let it go, since it's been working fine. Makes no sense ot me, but hey I'm no engineer. Thanks.

Tanks are designed to be supported by the edges. If you flip over most any commercially made newer tank, & look at the bottom, you will see the bottom glass is not flush with the edges, it is set back a little.

Tolak

Yah, i actually prefer them especially since I still occasionally spill water so instead of worrying about drying every drop of water that fell on the wood I just wipe as much as I see and go on doing what I was doing. :)

Most reactions

Back