Introducing Myself!

NeonBlueLeon

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello forum!

My name is Leon, and I am concluding my final year as an undergraduate chemist!  Unfortunately that means I am on a budget.  No big fancy canister filters and 100 gallon tanks for me (yet)!  I am currently located in Hawaii, Oahu, which fortunately means I don't need a tank heater.

Despite my claims to be on a budget, I care immensely about my fish and their happiness and well being, and would spend necessary money to ensure it.

Current setup:
20 gallon tank
- 5 rummy nosed tetras
- 1 red swordtail (male) *new*
- 2 creamsicle mollies (female) *new*
considering adding 5-7 neon tetras (a lifelong dream to own, thus far).
- plants: blades, grass, and two "moss" balls.

5 gallon tank
- 2 red tuxedo guppies (male)
- 2 female guppies (preggo!)

I am considering putting my two male guppies into my 20 gallon, so long as the tank won't go over capacity.  This is mostly for the female guppies' well being as the males are constantly harassing them, sniffing their gravid spots looking for a snack.  I truly think in-tank breeder nets/tanks are too stressful for a pregnant guppy.  Hopefully, with some peace and rest, they will drop their fry!

I am looking forward to being part of this forum and helping anyone who I can!  Happy aquarium-ing to all!

Greetings! I feel obliged to warn you those guppies will have many babies so you may have to either rehome the female guppies or prepare to have tonnes of guppies! They will eat most of their own young so you won't have to many. Still enough to overstock a 5 gallon tank though.

welcomeani.gif
 to the forum Neon!

TallTree01 said:
Greetings! I feel obliged to warn you those guppies will have many babies so you may have to either rehome the female guppies or prepare to have tonnes of guppies! They will eat most of their own young so you won't have to many. Still enough to overstock a 5 gallon tank though.

Thanks for the warning!  Indeed, I have realized that space will be an issue when my fry are born.  I may sell the fry to my LFS, keeping only 2-4 as my neighbors have expressed interest in adpoting guppies!

Most reactions

Back