Intro post...I guess.

Ciclidlover125g

Reaction score
I have been a fish keeper for +40 yrs. I started young. There is almost no words to describe that experience. So I will do a word wall:

10g barb tank at 12 yro, 55g community tank with Dempsey's at 17, bunch of tanks in college to include piranha, clown knifes, Snakeheads, arowanas, blue gill caught in the Ozarks, taught fish to jump out of the tank into a net, had fish in Germany while in the Army which my girl friend (wife) kilt while I was away in Desert Storm, bought house in rural Kansas, built a 125g into the mancave wall (dream when I was 18) with back access, well water, read Dr Axelrods Atlas, researched, fell in love with Cichlids, read about Over Engineered Reverse Flow Under Gravel filteration (24 ft sq bacteria media sites), X3 1140 power heads and 2 HB 400's, complimented with a pond pump for current, (fish water slide) x24/hr turnover, never looked back, not vacuumed for +5 years, all tests fine, planted over populated peacock/mBuna tank (my best tank ever), lost power = dead fish...sucked, was sold on Cichlids, diddled for a few years with ~ ok Walmart fish, again, limited choice in rural Ks, finally did some Tiger Oscars (puppy dogs), Dempseys, Blood Parrots, Firemouths, flutter fish, how can you have Danios with Oscars?, raise them together = buddies not food, community tank, slowly fish over time died, found I could order fish from Petco, re-did tank (down to glass).

I go against convention, over population of cichlids. If have done it many times, in community tanks. Lots of rocks are needed and hidy holes. I have 300 lbs of rock and over filtration. I have re-stocked with a number of fish and need more advice.

I look forward to engaging in discussions with this forum.

Oh, almost forgot, INTRO THREAD...my name is Bob and I am a fish-acholic.

Welcome, Love Cichlids especially Oscars. Love under gravel filters. I do everything naturally. Here is Charlie having dinner.
DSC00898.JPG

Welcome to TFF. Hope you participate in our contests. Running now, we are accepting entries for our Tank of the Month contest featuring tanks sized at 16 gallons and smaller.

Welcome to the madhouse....if not already mad, you soon will be ;) :D

Welp, wasmewasntit, I see you are new here as well. If your observations are correct, I am screwed!
Just put an @ sign first then type there name and it will Bump them. Welcome and yes you are screwed have fun. I like your first post, good attitude.

I have been a fish keeper for +40 yrs. I started young. There is almost no words to describe that experience. So I will do a word wall:

10g barb tank at 12 yro, 55g community tank with Dempsey's at 17, bunch of tanks in college to include piranha, clown knifes, Snakeheads, arowanas, blue gill caught in the Ozarks, taught fish to jump out of the tank into a net, had fish in Germany while in the Army which my girl friend (wife) kilt while I was away in Desert Storm, bought house in rural Kansas, built a 125g into the mancave wall (dream when I was 18) with back access, well water, read Dr Axelrods Atlas, researched, fell in love with Cichlids, read about Over Engineered Reverse Flow Under Gravel filteration (24 ft sq bacteria media sites), X3 1140 power heads and 2 HB 400's, complimented with a pond pump for current, (fish water slide) x24/hr turnover, never looked back, not vacuumed for +5 years, all tests fine, planted over populated peacock/mBuna tank (my best tank ever), lost power = dead fish...sucked, was sold on Cichlids, diddled for a few years with ~ ok Walmart fish, again, limited choice in rural Ks, finally did some Tiger Oscars (puppy dogs), Dempseys, Blood Parrots, Firemouths, flutter fish, how can you have Danios with Oscars?, raise them together = buddies not food, community tank, slowly fish over time died, found I could order fish from Petco, re-did tank (down to glass).

I go against convention, over population of cichlids. If have done it many times, in community tanks. Lots of rocks are needed and hidy holes. I have 300 lbs of rock and over filtration. I have re-stocked with a number of fish and need more advice.

I look forward to engaging in discussions with this forum.

Oh, almost forgot, INTRO THREAD...my name is Bob and I am a fish-acholic.
Welcome! I'm new here to and I'm in the first stage of fish keeping... I had a 3.5 gallon betta tank (learned that you always have to cycle) didnt go well... Now I'm doing a 20H and I have a good feeling. I cant wait to see some pics of aquariums you have now and aquariums you put together in the future! My names Josh btw. Nice to have you here.

Most reactions

Back