Internal / External / Undergravel Filters

Davy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Recently bought a juwel trigon 190 and am in the process of setting it up.

It came with the juwel BioPower 4 litre filter but Im debating by passing this and going for something like the Eheim 2026 external.

Internal v external filter whats the big difference.

As for undergravel, I currently use one along with an internal filter and the set up works well but dont know whether or not to put one in the new tank.

Any thoughts?

Davy :/

Recently bought a juwel trigon 190 and am in the process of setting it up.

It came with the juwel BioPower 4 litre filter but Im debating by passing this and going for something like the Eheim 2026 external.

Internal v external filter whats the big difference.

As for undergravel, I currently use one along with an internal filter and the set up works well but dont know whether or not to put one in the new tank.

Any thoughts?

Davy :/

I upgraded my tank to a RIO 400.

I used the standard internal filter that came with the tank and also use an external 304 system.

So far the tank has been running for 3 weeks and I have not needed to clean the filters out. The tank is also well stocked.

James

Just take care as the Juwel impellers do tend to gunk up. So make sure you wash the powerhead and internals on a very regular basis. Even running in conjunction with an external, I'd was the sponges at very least once a month in some siphoned water. Or check what it looks like once the tank has settled. And remember to siphon out the gunk and debris from the bottom of the cannister :)

As long as your internal or external power filters are large enough for your tank, you do not need an additional ugf.

Internal filters take up space in the tank and depending on the model, are somewhat difficult to regulate/control - that may not be an issue for you. In my experience, the internals tend to need more maintenance then a good sized external canister, and when the canister needs attention, it is easier to do it without mucking up the tank in the process.

Most reactions

Back